The Parthenon

Lord_Cronus

Historum Emeritas
Jun 2006
Georgia
I was watching a show on the Discovery Channel last night about the Greek Parthenon. Historians and archeologists can't agree on it's purpose. Some believe that it was built to show the architectural genius of Greece. Others believe it was built as a temple to the Godess Athena, while others think it served as the treasury for the empire. It had managed to remain intact for a millenia until 1687 when the Venitians bombarded the Ottoman powder magazine there. The roof caved in, and the inner room was destroyed.

My question is what do you think it's purpose was?

Lord_Cronus

Historum Emeritas
Jun 2006
Georgia
The temple theory does make sence, except the archeologists have found no architectural evidence of an altar. While there was a huge statue of Athena in it, I believe it served as a treasury. They say Athena was made of ivory and her cloak was made of solid gold.

Jun 2006
Montana Mountains
I always thought it was a temple to the godess Athena.. wasn't there once a large bronze/gold statue that stood on the marble floors on the inside of the temple?

Jul 2006
San Diego, California USA (or sparta)
yes, but Athena's statue maybe there to look over the treasury of athens as so theorized by Lord Cronus, for she was the goddess of wisdom :), hence looking over the money of the polis.

Jun 2006
Kentucky
According to wiki it was used as a treasury

"The Parthenon replaced an older temple of Athena that had been destroyed by the Persians in 480 BC. Like most Greek temples, the Parthenon was used as a treasury, and for a time served as the treasury of the Delian League, which later became the Athenian Empire."

I personally think that it was used for all of the above. It probably had some amazing vaults in there filled with money. It was also a shrine to Athena. And also it was built on the highest ground so it could be seen from miles away as a sign of how great athens was.

Jul 2006
Hellas
Lord_Cronus said:
I was watching a show on the Discovery Channel last night about the Greek Parthenon. Historians and archeologists can't agree on it's purpose. Some believe that it was built to show the architectural genius of Greece. Others believe it was built as a temple to the Godess Athena, while others think it served as the treasury for the empire. It had managed to remain intact for a millenia until 1687 when the Venitians bombarded the Ottoman powder magazine there. The roof caved in, and the inner room was destroyed.

My question is what do you think it's purpose was?
As Ellinas i go and see it many times for me is like pilgrimage to do this, the main reason as you correct say is for the glory of Ellas but specifically for the glory of Athens and Perikles and of course as a temple for the goddess Athena protector of Athens.

Similar History Discussions