the phoenician remains of tyre

Baldtastic

Ad Honorem
Aug 2009
Londinium
Im trying to find out what happened to the phoenician remnants of the city of tyre can anybody help me
I'm visiting Tyre on the 2nd week of November (13th) so will let you know what I see in person. In the meantime, I'd be interested to read what others can find :)

Oct 2018
Sydney
I'm not aware of what there is to be seen of ancient Tyre, but you can see extensive Tyrian ruins at Mozia in Sicily, which was the Tyrian colony of Motya.

Sep 2019
Toronto
By saying city Tyre, I think you are talking about Tyre, Lebanon. It is one of the oldest continually inhabited cities in the world.

Tyre was an one of the earliest Phoenician metropolises. Today it is the fifth largest city in Lebanon and houses one of the nation's major ports.

The city has a number of ancient sites, including its Roman Hippodrome.

Part of Tyre is an archaeological site showcasing remains of the city from ancient times.

Tyre originally consisted of two distinct urban centres: Tyre itself, which was on an island just off shore, and the associated settlement of Ushu on the adjacent mainland. Alexander the Great connected the island to the mainland by constructing a causeway during his siege of the city, demolishing the old city to reuse its cut stone.

Ancient Tyre sites include:
  • remains of ancient columns at Al Mina
  • The Triumphal Arch (reconstructed)
  • rectangular theatre at Al Mina from the 4th century A.D.
  • "Ain Sur": the spring of Tyre where Jesus reportedly drank water
  • Roman Hippodrome in Tyre
  • Relic of Saint Christina in the Maronite Cathedral of Tyre
  • Ruins of the Crusader Cathedral