The Portuguese Expeditionary Corps

Feb 2013
French Republic
W.W I West Front numerous peoples think is just French , British , American and Belgians. But I wish to pay tribute to the Portuguese soldiers on the French front .Who were our brothers of arms .It forgotten soldiers

Germany declared war on March 9, 1916. Nationalist fervor swept Portugal and the government in Lisbon immediately made preparations to send an expeditionary force to the Western Front.

A force of 30,000 troops was assembled within three months, an amazing feat that went down in history as the “Miracle at Tancos’ — the location of the Portuguese training facility. The troops were quickly sent to France; more would follow. By the beginning of 1917, Portugal had 55,000 men in France attached to the British army. The Corpo Expedicionário Português (CEP) as it was known was equipped with British helmets, rifles and machine guns, as well as Tommy rations. The contingent was assigned a 12 km stretch of the line in Flanders to defend.

By war’s end, Portugal had suffered 8,000 dead and 13,000 wounded. A further 12,000 had been captured.

Mar 2015
Pemsy Levels
That is interesting. There were other seldom-remembered participants on the western front as well.

My home town (Brighton on the Sussex coast) became a Hospital town for wounded troops from the front, a large number of wounded came from an undivided India and one of the hospitals they chose was the Royal Pavilion, in hindsight the claim was that the Indian Troops would feel at home due to it's Indo-Saracenic design.

it is hard to imagine in the context of todays world..

Nov 2013
Olisipo
W.W I West Front numerous peoples think is just French , British , American and Belgians. But I wish to pay tribute to the Portuguese soldiers on the French front .Who were our brothers of arms .It forgotten soldiers

Germany declared war on March 9, 1916. Nationalist fervor swept Portugal and the government in Lisbon immediately made preparations to send an expeditionary force to the Western Front.

A force of 30,000 troops was assembled within three months, an amazing feat that went down in history as the “Miracle at Tancos’ — the location of the Portuguese training facility. The troops were quickly sent to France; more would follow. By the beginning of 1917, Portugal had 55,000 men in France attached to the British army. The Corpo Expedicionário Português (CEP) as it was known was equipped with British helmets, rifles and machine guns, as well as Tommy rations. The contingent was assigned a 12 km stretch of the line in Flanders to defend.

By war’s end, Portugal had suffered 8,000 dead and 13,000 wounded. A further 12,000 had been captured.
Thanks for the tribute, my great grandfather was one of the survivors. i think i still have a photo of him in his military outfit in his hometown in Alentejo.

Last edited:

Similar History Discussions