The Psychology of Tanks?

Dec 2017
Poland
Yeah, apparently the Russians used tanks to terrify the locals in Afghanistan . Seems they liked to run people over, lengthways, starting with the feet. That may be myth, I can't back it up.

Never saw a tank in the army. Got to have some el spiffo helicopter rides though. :hug:
I think it is worth remembering about one thing: today the farmer's child often drives a bigger machine than the Tiger (I mean Europe, USA etc.). But during World War II, especially before the war, most soldiers never saw such large machines. During World War I ... many soldiers did not see a light bulb or a brick house! Today, all people during a military picnic can look at the tank closely and it is not a shock for them. But I think that even for such people, the attack of a group of tanks would be frightening. I read the diary of a professional soldier - even for him, the fight against a single tank was stressful. And he was not a coward, he was a volunteer and a professional.

AlpinLuke

Ad Honoris
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
I think it is worth remembering about one thing: today the farmer's child often drives a bigger machine than the Tiger (I mean Europe, USA etc.). But during World War II, especially before the war, most soldiers never saw such large machines. During World War I ... many soldiers did not see a light bulb or a brick house! Today, all people during a military picnic can look at the tank closely and it is not a shock for them. But I think that even for such people, the attack of a group of tanks would be frightening. I read the diary of a professional soldier - even for him, the fight against a single tank was stressful. And he was not a coward, he was a volunteer and a professional.
Also this is true: I work for a corporation which uses giant presses to deform stainless steel. Those presses can weight up to 70 tons ... what happens when we purchase one of those press? It happens that a powerful mobile crane comes ... A WWII tank is nothing aside such a crane!

Oh come on! That's a machine!

So yes, in the futurist environment of the great cities of early XX century a tank was a common machine, but in the rural world it was a monster [like trains ... I have read a very old article on an Italian newspaper saying that in rural areas there were persons in the fields standing for hours just to see a train passing ...

Dec 2017
Poland
So yes, in the futurist environment of the great cities of early XX century a tank was a common machine, but in the rural world it was a monster [like trains ... I have read a very old article on an Italian newspaper saying that in rural areas there were persons in the fields standing for hours just to see a train passing ...
I remember the words of Andrzej Wajda, that when he saw German motorized units, it was like an aliens attack, like Star Wars. He was 13 years old and his father was an officer. So it was not even a family of ordinary peasants, this child had some knowledge of military equipment. And yet the sudden appearance of many armed vehicles was such a shock for him. For me today, such a view is not strange. But ... fighting against enemies in a bullet-proof vehicle, with a big cannon, is another matter. You can ambush with a special weapon, but does every soldier have such a weapon? Maybe one man in the team has an RPG-7 or something like that. Special platoons have, for example, Spike ATGM, but most soldiers have never seen such expensive equipment.

Similar History Discussions