The REAL First Settlement in North America Debate

Dec 2014
Italy
Jamestown Virginia is the first permanent English settlement in North America and it is the only one we need to know because from this small settlement that began on the 14th of May 1607. we have founded the greatest portion of this earth that man has ever known.

From simple beginnings we have saved the world from 2 World Wars and numerous financial and political battles. Jamestown is indeed the greatest of all European settlements in the New World.

This settlement is responsible for two things. It is responsible for the founding of the greatest nation in the history of the world; the United Sttes of America and it is responsible for the true beginnings of the English, you notice I do not say British, empire.

For the United States of America we only need to remember Jamestown. Jamestown, Virginia is the heart and soul of the United States.

From this small settlement bleeds the essence that is the American spirit.

There are others that did come before Jamestown but none that are more important. Jamestown is the foundation of the way of life that North Americans enjoy every day in their lives.
But there is also the "lost colony" of Roanoke in Carolina, chronologically speaking: 1584 ... if we want consider the English.

Wenge

Ad Honoris
Apr 2011
Virginia
But there is also the "lost colony" of Roanoke in Carolina, chronologically speaking: 1584 ... if we want consider the English.
The first Roanoke colony was also an attempt by the Virginia company. From that Virginia Dare was born and nothing else is known of what happened to them.

Jamestown is still the quintessential event that jump started modern American history.

The first Thanksgiving was held in Virginia and the Plymouth Colony is simply an afterthought in American history. It is of no importance compared to what happened in the "Mother of States" and "Mother of Presidents" my dear Virginia.

Dec 2014
Italy
The first Roanoke colony was also an attempt by the Virginia company. From that Virginia Dare was born and nothing else is known of what happened to them.

Jamestown is still the quintessential event that jump started modern American history.

The first Thanksgiving was held in Virginia and the Plymouth Colony is simply an afterthought in American history. It is of no importance compared to what happened in the "Mother of States" and "Mother of Presidents" my dear Virginia.
The "Old Dominion", as she is nicknamed. :)

Yes, chronologically: 1584, Roanoke; 1607, Jamestown; and 1620, Plymouth.

Virginia Dare, was the first white born on American soil, and Jamestown was of course the "first permanent settlement".

Yes, Virginia. She also reminds me of the Shenandoah Valley; the famous ride of Sheridan on Sept., 1864. But also "Shenandoah", a 1965-movie, starring: James Stewart.

Virginia was also made up of three parts (the "Old Dominion", I mean): before 1792, also Kentucky and West Virginia were part of her. Then, 1792: Kentucky, and 1863 (the northern counties) West Virginia, as new states.

Last edited:

Wenge

Ad Honoris
Apr 2011
Virginia

Virginia Dare, was the first white born on American soil, and Jamestown was of course the "first permanent settlement".

Yes, Virginia. She also reminds me of the Shenandoah Valley; the famous ride of Sheridan on Sept., 1864. But also "Shenandoah", a 1965-movie, starring: James Stewart.

Virginia was also made up of three parts (the "Old Dominion", I mean): before 1792, also Kentucky and West Virginia were part of her. Then, 1792: Kentucky, and 1863 (the northern counties) West Virginia, as new states.
You really do not know very much about Virginia do you? Jimmie Stewart would have not stood for being called Jame Stewart since there was another actor of that name.

Could you tone down your fonts? The largess of your fonts bothers me a great deal; although I know it is you that is posting.

I would suggest that you get out of your comfort zone and travel to other places to learn about the things you have been commenting about. Some of the things you have commented about only the deep local people of the area would know. I am well aware of the things you have commented about but even I, a native Virginian in the greatest of all blue grass states, had to look up a person or two that you have posted.

When you post about a person you should give a bit of history about them. This is, after all, a history forum.

pikeshot1600

Ad Honoris
Jul 2009
St. Augustine has been mentioned in re the first settlement in N.A. The place was pretty much an outpost of New Spain guarding the return route from Havana to Spain. As such it was not so much a settlement as a police station to deter corsairs and privateers. Nothing much came of Spain's efforts in Florida.

OTOH, Santo Domingo has claim to being the first permanent and continuous settlement in N.A. It isn't on the mainland, but the islands of the Caribbean are North American.

Some of this is splitting hairs. But the Internet is a theater for "hair-splittery."

royal744

Ad Honoris
Jul 2013
San Antonio, Tx
Jamestown Virginia is the first permanent English settlement in North America and it is the only one we need to know because from this small settlement that began on the 14th of May 1607. we have founded the greatest portion of this earth that man has ever known.

From simple beginnings we have saved the world from 2 World Wars and numerous financial and political battles. Jamestown is indeed the greatest of all European settlements in the New World.

This settlement is responsible for two things. It is responsible for the founding of the greatest nation in the history of the world; the United Sttes of America and it is responsible for the true beginnings of the English, you notice I do not say British, empire.

For the United States of America we only need to remember Jamestown. Jamestown, Virginia is the heart and soul of the United States.

From this small settlement bleeds the essence that is the American spirit.

There are others that did come before Jamestown but none that are more important. Jamestown is the foundation of the way of life that North Americans enjoy every day in their lives.
Of course, Jamestown was a colony founded upon slavery as well. In terms of human history and the context of the times, this was perhaps not so unusual.

martin76

Ad Honorem
Dec 2014
Spain

This forum is about HISTORY not about PROPAGANDA.. You lie when you say the first white to born in North America was Virginia Dare.. False. The first was Martín de Argüelles, from Asturian parents. He was born in 1566 in San Agustín, Florida and it is not a tradition.. but official records.

Argüelles was born in 1566 in the Spanish settlement of St. Augustine, Florida, approximately twenty-one years before the short-lived colony at Roanoke Island in North Carolina. Martín's parents were Martín de Argüelles (Sr.) and Leonor Morales. His father, Martín Argüelles Sr., an Asturian hidalgo, was one of the expeditioners who came to New Spain in the New World with Captain General Pedro Menéndez de Avilés in 1565. Argüelles Sr. was the first Alcalde (Mayor) of San Agustín, and had been in charge of munitions in the Florida forts of Santa María, San Agustín (now St. Augustine), and Santa Elena.

I thought it is necessary a minimun knowledge before posting... PROPAGANDA is not HISTORY.

martin76

Ad Honorem
Dec 2014
Spain
Jamestown is the single most important thing that has ever happened to the western hemisphere. You can object all that you like but it is the single unifying event that developed the United States of America into the single most important country that the world has ever known.

Everything you say false to is unjustified because the foundations of the American Spirit began in the Southeast corner of Virginia on that faithful day on the 14th of May in 1607.

I believe that it is the day that God ordained to be the savor of the world.
I can see History is not your point. Jamestown is only a litte village. Nothing more. I can see you lack of sources, data, records etc etc. USA was not developed by Jamestown... Different factors and not Jamestown, mainly.
I can prove how the Spaniards were the first to build successed settlements in North America, from XVI Century to nowadays... Can you prove Jamestown is older than San Agustín? :lol::lol: Can you prove British arrived to Virginia sooner than Spaniards? :lol::lol:

Dec 2014
Italy
(Toned down my fonts).

(1) I'm forced to write short messages due to the language. Otherwise, I would take a week to do it.

(2) Others bother me here, but, I'm patient.

(3) Travel isn't my project, but that is for personal reasons. I can't do it.

(4) Here, I'm a "student, not a "professor." "Professors" are the others.

(5) Mine isn't "propaganda". It's only "general history", and many things here are new for me, as well. Thus, it doesn't mean I'm "false", but only "general data" I read.