The REAL First Settlement in North America Debate

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
Wasn't it Roanoke? (Even though it disappeared)
Already mentioned, about post-Colombian European settlements, in the territory that is today part of the continental USA (so Puerto Rico excluded – San Juan was founded in 1521):

Roanoke Colony, North Carolina, was established in 1585.

San Agustín, Florida, was established in 1565.

Reactions: martin76

martin76

Ad Honorem
Dec 2014
Spain
Already mentioned, about post-Colombian European settlements, in the territory that is today part of the continental USA (so Puerto Rico excluded – San Juan was founded in 1521):

Roanoke Colony, North Carolina, was established in 1585.

San Agustín, Florida, was established in 1565.
Exactly.. not to talk about LUCAS VÁZQUEZ DE AYLLÓN and the Spanish Colonies in Carolinas (North and South)... AS 1529 Ribeiro´s map evidences...

Hollywood movies are great... but only movies.. one script is a script.. not a history book and never reality... the trouble is when people base their culture on Hollywood movies scripts!!!!
Errol Flynn is an actor.. an Australian actor... he was not a Vasquez de Ayllón, Hernando de Soto, Vázquez de Coronado, Don Juan de Oñate... and not... Hollywood script is not an historical evidence about Who were the FIRST ONE to arrive to what nowadays is named Virginia, Carolinas, Georgia... etc etc

I love his movies but I have the morale obligatoion to break the heart of some people here.... his MOVIES are not base ON REAL HISTORY.. sorry very much.

This is a real evidence

Spanish fort in North Carolina

So... Did they arrive to NC sooner than Errol Flynn? Yes... and now I am going to break the heart of 30% this forum... Did they arrive to NC sooner tha any British? YES, they did... And did they arrive to Virginia sooner? Yes, they did!

Sorry... I´ve caused so many heart attack today.. but real history is as dangerous as high blood pressure, cholesterol and diabetes

And now.. dear intellectual.. proves Roanoke is sooner than the Spanish expeditions!!!!

Reactions: Mando

athena

Ad Honorem
Jan 2010
Eugene, Oregon
Huh, there were people here before anyone from the European continent crossed the Atlantic.

MAGolding

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
Chalfont, Pennsylvania
Huh, there were people here before anyone from the European continent crossed the Atlantic.
Yes, we know that. See my post number 247 on page 24 for a list of settlements which could be considered the first in nOrth America according to various standards. Note that some of them date from centuries or even millennia before Columbus or Lief Erickson.