The real problem with the Electoral College.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
I know I have posted about this within this thread. My recollection is, if you proportionately divide the electors it has the same effect as going with the popular vote.
Not always. After all, small states are still going to have more weight relative to their total population and if no one wins a majority of electors, the election is going to go to the House of Representatives.

Chlodio

Forum Staff
Aug 2016
Dispargum
Not always. After all, small states are still going to have more weight relative to their total population and if no one wins a majority of electors, the election is going to go to the House of Representatives.
And if a state with five electoral votes splits the popular vote 51%-49% the electoral votes will divide 3-2 or 60%-40% - still not a fair split. If we're going to change it, let's do it right.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
And if a state with five electoral votes splits the popular vote 51%-49% the electoral votes will divide 3-2 or 60%-40% - still not a fair split. If we're going to change it, let's do it right.
It would be split 2-2 in a scenario where this US state would have had just four electoral votes, though.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
62.50% is the cutoff point at which the electors are going to be split 3-1 if there are four electors in total. Below 62.50%, the electors are going to be split 2-2 if there are four electors in total.

Code Blue

Ad Honorem
Feb 2015
Caribbean
Most laws are passed in blissful ignorance of the masses. Repealing the EC would be no different.
I am surprised no one noted the irony. Blissful ignorance would be a reason to have an electoral college. Now, blissful ignorance is a reason for hauling it off.

Maybe one of these days blissful ignorance will be a reason not to have elections at all.