"The Red Beret"

Apr 2017
United Kingdom
Although I tend not to like war films especially(unless they have some historical significance such as "The Battle of The Bulge"(1965), the "Battle of Midway"(1976)or have an offbeat quality "The Dirty Dozen"(1967), when I saw a DVD of the 1953 film "The Red Beret" with the late Alan Ladd(presumably no relation to Cheryl Ladd of "Charlie's Angels" fame!) as an American who pretends to be Canadian in order to enlist in the then newly formed Parachute Regiment of the British Army(this was presumably before the US entered the war after Pearl Harbor), I was intrigued enough to snap it up there and then.
It was nice to look at the "Paras" before controversies in other conflicts( such as "Bloody Sunday" during the NI "Troubles" or the Falklands War when soldiers of this regiment were accused of killing captured Argentinian POWs, as ex-Para Vince Bramley claimed in his autobiography, "Welcome To Hell")far less morally unambiguous than WWII aroused comment.

Anyone think as I do?

Terry

Shtajerc

Ad Honorem
Jul 2014
Lower Styria, Slovenia
They killed POWs on D-Day too, so I don't know how morally unambiguous they were even before the Troubles ... war brings the worst out of many individuals and the ones doing the most killing are usually psychos anyway.

I haven't seen The Red Beret but I enjoy old military movies very much, especially the ones who aim at being historically accurate. A Bridge Too Far, The Longest Day and Battle of Britain are some of my favourites as far as ww2-themed films are concerned. Then there's Waterloo, Zulu, Zulu Dawn, The Charge of the Light Brigade, I also like movies that focus on a more personal plot but are happening in a historic setting like The Duelists or Three Feathers and Tunes of Glory. Fiction like The Dirty Dozen can be nice too. Kelly's Heroes used to be aired on TV every New Year's Eve when I was a kid, so it's got sentimental value for me.

Shtajerc

Ad Honorem
Jul 2014
Lower Styria, Slovenia
I think it was American paratroopers who were said to have killed prisoners on DDay.
I automatically asumed their British chums did too because they were in the same situation. Excuse me if that's not true, I was talking out of my arse, as they say ... :)

Apr 2017
United Kingdom
They killed POWs on D-Day too, so I don't know how morally unambiguous they were even before the Troubles ... war brings the worst out of many individuals and the ones doing the most killing are usually psychos anyway.

I haven't seen The Red Beret but I enjoy old military movies very much, especially the ones who aim at being historically accurate. A Bridge Too Far, The Longest Day and Battle of Britain are some of my favourites as far as ww2-themed films are concerned. Then there's Waterloo, Zulu, Zulu Dawn, The Charge of the Light Brigade, I also like movies that focus on a more personal plot but are happening in a historic setting like The Duelists or Three Feathers and Tunes of Glory. Fiction like The Dirty Dozen can be nice too. Kelly's Heroes used to be aired on TV every New Year's Eve when I was a kid, so it's got sentimental value for me.
I suppose it's possible but this is a new one for me- that is Paras killing POWs during D-Day?

Terry

Shtajerc

Ad Honorem
Jul 2014
Lower Styria, Slovenia
I suppose it's possible but this is a new one for me- that is Paras killing POWs during D-Day?

Terry
Now, as I said in my previous post, I only asumed British paratroopers did something like this because American ones were told not to take prisoners on DDay and since both were in the same situation I made this asumption. It made sense because they operated outnumbered without support behind enemy lines and prisoners could put the taking of their objectives seriously at risk.

Oct 2015
Norway
Many of the people who made "The red beret" later started making James Bond movies, including producer Albert Broccoli, director Terrance Young (a British ex-para), screen writer Richard Maibaum and stuntman Bob Simmons.

May 2016
Wyoming U.S.A.
Haven’t seen the Red Beret in years but I remember it as a good flic.

As for executing German POWs I had not heard that one. Allied paras were a little busy weren’t they To have had the time
To do anything but try to survive . Many American paratroopers were captured too. Any of them executed ?

Similar History Discussions