The shameful treatment of George Rogers Clark

Aug 2018
Southern Indiana
George Rogers Clark was truly a larger than life hero, on his own initiative and with a small group of volunteers he captured Cahokia, Kaskaskia and Vincennes during the Revolutionary War. These victories would be very important at the end of the war as it allowed the US to claim territory far to the west when the peace treaty was negotiated. He led militia into the Ohio region to attack the Shawnee who had been raiding the frontier with the encouragement of the British. His greatest hope was to be allowed to take Detroit, but was not given support by the colonies. In fact, his campaigns were possible because he borrowed supplies from merchants and money from individuals who supported the cause. After the war the new government refused to honor his receipts from the war saying that all receipts he had sent to Virginia had been lost. Eventually Clark lost all his money and property paying off debts and sunk into alcoholism. It was only after his death that his descendants were compensated along the descendants of Francis Vigo who had given Clark much financial support during the war also resulting in his own ruin.

Clark was certain he could have taken Detroit in 1779 before the British rebuilt the fort. If he had accomplished that I wonder if he would have had a larger role to play in the new government perhaps even becoming a US president.

Zip

Jan 2018
Comancheria
And he captured the Hairbuyer.

I think had he advanced on Detroit he would've found Caldwell more formidable than Hamilton (if Caldwell as at Detroit yet in 79) and the Three Fires Anishinaabe alliance and Wyandots more formidable than the Shawnee.

Reactions: Hoosierhiver
Aug 2018
Southern Indiana
And he captured the Hairbuyer.

I think had he advanced on Detroit he would've found Caldwell more formidable than Hamilton (if Caldwell as at Detroit yet in 79) and the Three Fires Anishinaabe alliance and Wyandots more formidable than the Shawnee.
Quite possibly, but he had assembled hundreds of the biggest bad asses on the frontier. The Native tribes were terrified of him. Certainly interesting to ponder.

His early victories apparently caused some significant envy among those who were interested in political and military advancement. The nerve of that 27 year old to take matters into his own hands!