The temple of floating Bricks

May 2012
On a chain of Extinct Volcanoes
I thought it would be interesting if I present to the fellow Historumites , a brilliant architectural wonder of India , the Ramappa temple , built by Kakatiyas [ a general of Kakatiyas , in fact]:)
The Kakatiyas were one of the finest dynasties that ruled the modern Andhra Pradesh .
[ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kakatiya_dynasty]Kakatiya dynasty - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]
They are quite renowned for their temple building .
The most brilliant of their works is the temple of Ramappa . This temple is located to North East of Hyderabad at 150 Km and 60 Km from Warangal [ Orugallu , the capital of Kakatiyas] and astounding fact about this temple is in its name , Ramappa .
Ramappa is neither the name of the deity nor the king , but the architect of the temple .

The temple is built on a star shaped foundation.Like its contemporaries , the Ramappa temple has got all the attractions of the Dravida style of architecture like fabulous carvings on the walls , pillars and on the ceiling

The temple's outer walls are carved with elephants along its surface . They are carved in such a way that all the elephants appear walking around the temple . There are around 520 elephant carvings on the wall and surprisingly , each one does not resemble the other !

The sculptures are so intricately carved that fine threads or pins can be inserted through them !
The temple's pillars have been carved with different poses of a dancing style , called Perini Shivatandavam

And the best part is that the bricks used in the temple are very light and float when dropped in the water .
Bidar, Its History and Monuments - Ghulam Yazdani - Google Books

If you ever get to visit this side of India [ South ] , I suggest you this is worth all your money !

Last edited:
Oct 2011
Hmm, I think technically it's a Besara, not a Dravida structure. I'll check it up...

That said, as far as the bricks go, the temple itself doesn't look like brick-work to me. Those pillars are definitely some kind of stole - probably basalt.

Possibly, the Vimana above the Garbagriha is brick. At least in Tamil temples, that's the part that's usually brick, even in most stone temples.

May 2012
On a chain of Extinct Volcanoes
Hmm, I think technically it's a Besara, not a Dravida structure. I'll check it up...

Possibly, the Vimana above the Garbagriha is brick. At least in Tamil temples, that's the part that's usually brick, even in most stone temples.
So what I remembered was right .
It is only the Garbagriha ... remaining's sandstone !

And thanks for the correction :)

Oct 2011
so the bricks were selectively used.
Usually, the Vimanam is brick. It's not load-bearing, and the garbagriha walls have to be re-engineered to support that much stone.

The really huge stone vimanams you've heard of - the two Brihadeswaras for example, have double-walled passages around the Garbagriha to support the massive vimanam on top.

Similar History Discussions