The Thing I Learned Today

Oct 2015
California
How is a typical European looking like?
To a lot of people, the Nordic Scandinavian types. This is an unfortunate result of the pseudo-scientific racial theories of the 19th century and the so-called "Aryan" types. To most racists of the 19th century even Europeans are designated into a hierarchy based on arbitrary and pseudo scientific classifications, e.g Nordic types at the top, somewhere in the middle Alpine types, and at the bottom Mediterranean types.

Oct 2017
America ??
How is a typical European looking like?
Many online anthropologists in those anthropology forums do seem to be very certain about characteristic ethnic appearances to the point where they seem to have developed a very specific & elaborate ethnic appearance categorization & often engage in big arguments over what constitutes certain ethnic appearances & which peoples & individuals look like or can pass as who. It’s quite baffling to read those arguments & frankly to hang out in those anthropology forums. Certainly not very charming for our egos is it considering that physical appearance is something we barely have any control over.

Which is why I used the term “typical” to specify. I do think that while there certainly are many overlaps & border areas, there does certainly seem to be a typical European phenotype for the majority of people of close to unmixed European descent. It’s basically western light complexion caucasoid.

MG1962a

Ad Honorem
Mar 2019
Kansas
Many online anthropologists in those anthropology forums do seem to be very certain about characteristic ethnic appearances to the point where they seem to have developed a very specific & elaborate ethnic appearance categorization & often engage in big arguments over what constitutes certain ethnic appearances & which peoples & individuals look like or can pass as who. It’s quite baffling to read those arguments & frankly to hang out in those anthropology forums. Certainly not very charming for our egos is it considering that physical appearance is something we barely have any control over.

Which is why I used the term “typical” to specify. I do think that while there certainly are many overlaps & border areas, there does certainly seem to be a typical European phenotype for the majority of people of close to unmixed European descent. It’s basically western light complexion caucasoid.
Yeah I think people were just having a bit of fun with the concept very much in the vein of the thinking you were pointing out.

deaf tuner

Ad Honoris
Oct 2013
Europix

Huh?

" basically western light complexion caucasoid"
What exactly is that? Are You referring to Georgians, Circassians, Ossetians?

" there does certainly seem to be a typical European phenotype "
What would be that typical European phenotype?

"It’s quite baffling to read those arguments"
I totally agree.

Oct 2017
America ??
Yeah I think people were just having a bit of fun with the concept very much in the vein of the thinking you were pointing out.
What do you mean by that?

Huh?

" basically western light complexion caucasoid"
What exactly is that? Are You referring to Georgians, Circassians, Ossetians?

" there does certainly seem to be a typical European phenotype "
What would be that typical European phenotype?

"It’s quite baffling to read those arguments"
I totally agree.
You should read some of the literature on racial classifications online to get some basic idea, for all sorts of terms get thrown around. Wikipedia is an ok place to start. I don’t think I should get into such detail on racial topics here as along with being complex & involving genetics could be quite controversial to many, though I do believe that it ought not to be when approached with a right mindset & intention. It’s anthropology after all. Not specifically referring to the inhabitants of the Caucasus region. Caucasoid is traditionally variously defined as one of the three to four major racial groups, the highest or broadest division of our species. The range of this major racial group is traditionally considered to range from Europe through the Middle East to South Asia. So by typical European looking I meant light complexion, meaning skin & hair tones, of this group. Glad to see you totally agree on how baffling it is to see how complicated & heated those ethnic & racial arguments on anthropology forums can get. Have you actually had a look at some of them yet?
[/QUOTE]

What do you mean by that?

Last edited:

MAGolding

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
Chalfont, Pennsylvania
...Before you know it. Someone with a good suntan is going to be called a person of color.
There is no such thing as a good suntan. Everyone from darkest "black" to lightest "white" should cover up to avoid exposure to ultra violet rays. Everyone should get their Vitamin D from vitamin pills instead of sunlight, in order to reduce their chances of getting skin cancer.

Reactions: MG1962a

deaf tuner

Ad Honoris
Oct 2013
Europix
... You should read some of the literature on racial classifications online to get some basic idea, for all sorts of terms get thrown around. Wikipedia is an ok place to start. I don’t think I should get into such detail on racial topics here as along with being complex & involving genetics could be quite controversial to many, though I do believe that it ought not to be when approached with a right mindset & intention. It’s anthropology after all. Not specifically referring to the inhabitants of the Caucasus region. Caucasoid is traditionally variously defined as one of the three to four major racial groups, the highest or broadest division of our species. The range of this major racial group is traditionally considered to range from Europe through the Middle East to South Asia. So by typical European looking I meant light complexion, meaning skin & hair tones, of this group. Glad to see you totally agree on how baffling it is to see how complicated & heated those ethnic & racial arguments on anthropology forums can get. Have you actually had a look at some of them yet?

It seems that You really believe that stuff.

"So by typical European looking I meant light complexion, meaning skin & hair tones, of this group."

In basic English, the one I understand, that means white and blond.

Is that the "typical European looking"?

Mar 2018
UK
Dividing Europeans into races is 100% subjective and usually political. Benjamin Franklin didn't like how many German immigrants there were, so he defined them as "not really white". 150 years ago some people didn't like how many Irish immigrants there were, so they were classified as a separate race. This lasted until Kennedy declared himself Irish, at which point they were readmitted into the "real european" race. 80 years ago some people didn't like, so they were classified as their own race too, until Italian immigration stopped being an issue. Some people now think there are too many Spanish-speaking immigrants, so they are classifying both Latino's and (now) Spaniards as a different race.

Wait a second guys, I think I spot a pattern here...