The thracians and their horse cult

Jan 2016
Collapsed wave
Some of the earliest references are from Omir's Illiad:

If you are keen to raid the camp, the Thracians there are latecomers, and furthest out. Rhesus, son of Eioneus, is their royal leader. He has the tallest, finest horses I ever saw, whiter than snow and fast as the wind.
It is also speculated that the "Arabian breed of horses" originated in Thrace:

Aug 2019
North
Some of the earliest references are from Omir's Illiad:

It is also speculated that the "Arabian breed of horses" originated in Thrace:

I'd bet that philip II's of macedonia bloodline is derived from a thracian source, having in mind his name. Perica's bloodline has been lost.

Last edited:
Sep 2017
United States
Societies with horse-oriented cultures tend to be cavalry-oriented militarily, or at least have notable horsemen. Is Thracian Cavalry renowned?

I’ve always known the Thracians for their rhomphai (?). The one sword that looks like a falx!

Feb 2019
Pennsylvania, US
I'm just noticing the mention of "cult" in the thread title... do you mean the Thracian Horseman cult? Or more about the horses themselves - i.e. the one described in the Aeneid? Or all of the above?

Aug 2019
North
I'm just noticing the mention of "cult" in the thread title... do you mean the Thracian Horseman cult? Or more about the horses themselves - i.e. the one described in the Aeneid? Or all of the above?
I mean the thracian horseman cult. Philippos means "lover of horses" in greek, so the name would fit perfectly with the ancient macedonians' thracian royal connection. We get a bigger picture if we are reminded that the possible macedonian dorian royal lineage of perdica had died out by the time of philip I.

Aug 2019
North
Societies with horse-oriented cultures tend to be cavalry-oriented militarily, or at least have notable horsemen. Is Thracian Cavalry renowned?

I’ve always known the Thracians for their rhomphai (?). The one sword that looks like a falx!
Yes, the falx does look intimidating.

Feb 2019
Pennsylvania, US
I'm really only familiar with the artistic representations (numerous reliefs/steles) associated with the Thracian Horseman / Hero cult... Usually they depict a hunter / equestrian, riding towards the viewer's right side... many depictions have different animals included as aids or adversaries of the Horseman (dogs, boars, lions, snakes, etc)... The depictions show the Horseman armed with a range of offensive weapons, never defensive ones (shield, etc).

1574787816295.jpeg

There really was no record of what the cult practiced, how they observed their religious rites, etc... but like all of these sort of religious iconographies, there are endless numbers of artistic depictions of the Horseman - and that's about all there is (I believe).

I find some of these ancient forgotten cults and mystery religions really interesting...

If do happen to be interested in the horses / breeding, here's an interesting book about Horse Breeds and Breeding the the Greco-Persian World. It's okay if you aren't. It's fine. 😢

Reactions: Ken12
Aug 2019
North
I'm really only familiar with the artistic representations (numerous reliefs/steles) associated with the Thracian Horseman / Hero cult... Usually they depict a hunter / equestrian, riding towards the viewer's right side... many depictions have different animals included as aids or adversaries of the Horseman (dogs, boars, lions, snakes, etc)... The depictions show the Horseman armed with a range of offensive weapons, never defensive ones (shield, etc).

View attachment 25022

There really was no record of what the cult practiced, how they observed their religious rites, etc... but like all of these sort of religious iconographies, there are endless numbers of artistic depictions of the Horseman - and that's about all there is (I believe).

I find some of these ancient forgotten cults and mystery religions really interesting...

If do happen to be interested in the horses / breeding, here's an interesting book about Horse Breeds and Breeding the the Greco-Persian World. It's okay if you aren't. It's fine. 😢
In macedonia there is a significant interest in the semi-legendary person of "krale marko", a medieval chivalrous figure. There are numerous epic folk stories about him. He is never mentioned without his norse. Some I suppose rightfuly argue that this artistic practice is a remnant of the said thracian cult. Wasn't alexander the great always depicted as a mounted warrior? Thought food.

Last edited: