The Thread of the Indo-Aryans

Oct 2018
Bangalore,India
Hello all,I am creating this thread to discuss about the Indo-Aryans. Their origins,their movement patterns,alternate History timelines that they could have unveiled,etc. Ask whatever you want to know about the Indo-Aryans in this thread. Have cool and rocking discussions and keep it as interesting as possible! Respect each other's opinions and posts and don't unnecessary start unpleasant arguments. Indo-Aryans are the focus but you can bring the others like the Tocharians and Iranian peoples. Nuristanis also can be discussed about with discussions including or excluding the Indo-Aryans. But for others,you need to focus on Indo-Aryans. Let's start! I'll gather and make one alternate timeline with them soon but you don't have to wait!
I am posting this in General History because Indo-Aryans originated in Eurasia and one branch came close to European borders(Mitanni).
Anyway,have fun!

AlpinLuke

Ad Honoris
Oct 2011
Lago Maggiore, Italy
I would start from the beginning: today, at least in Italy, there is a good consensus about the origin of the "Indoari" [how we call the Indo-Aryans]: the Andronovo culture which developed in east-central Asia. To be accurate, West of the Caspian Sea. Obviously enough the debate is still alive, anyway, it seems that the Indo-Aryans came from those lands around 1,800 BCE when migrations started towards South. The reasons of these migrations are not so clear, but the most common explanation is related to regional climate changes. In particular the temperatures diminished and also rain became less common. Such climate changes affected alsos the Indo Civilizations.

Even if they showed forms of agriculture and settlements, some scholars [for example J.P. Mallory] suggest that they learned to organize wide settlement and urban organizations during their migration. In particular they would have adopt the organization of the BMAC [Bactriano-Margiano complex].

Oct 2018
Bangalore,India
As we all know,the Indo-Aryans are a part of the people who migrated from the East Central European Steppe called the Proto-Indo-Europeans. Indo-Iranians first become pronounced at Sintashta culture which isn't very far away. Andronavo succeedes the Sintashta. Andronavo has a very large area and overlaps the Tocharian Afanasevo and the non-Indo-European BMAC. Post the Andronavo,the Indo-Aryans and the Nuristanis split off. Indo-Aryans head in two directions. One to Anatolia and another towards the Southeast. Gandharvas and Dardas were situated in the more mountainous regions. Some confederations went South forming Kingdoms like Panchala,Kuru,etc. Pronounced mixing with the darker skinned natives is supposed to have happened in the plains deeper South.
The Mitanni formed with the Hurrians and with a Indo-Aryan ruling class. Hurrians were more similar in appearance to the Indo-Aryan ruling class so unlike the India,caste system didn't develop there also were powerful neighbours like Hittites.
Indo-Aryans in the Northern Dardic territories are mostly European today.

An observation here is that we need to examine how the Indo-Aryans had any interaction if any with the Afanasevo Tocharians,Gutians(if any) and the Burusho like ethnicities that might have existed in the past in the Mountain regions who were also European in appearence first here notably. It's worth noting that Burusho are neither Indo-European nor Dravidian speakers and look mostly like the Europeans and Iranians. They live today in the Hunza valley.

Oct 2018
Bangalore,India
It's worth noting an analogy here. The Original Indo-Aryans and the Tocharians are analogous to a case in Europe. Tocharians are R1b carriers and speakers of a Centum language. Indo-Aryans were Satem language speakers and carriers of R1a. The analogy is very similar to Balto-Slavic and Germanic people living adjacent to each other in Europe.

Oct 2018
Bangalore,India
Now I'm making Alternate History timelines. Here are the ones involving Indo-Aryans I have conceived and I will be starting to post the timeline stories here:
Indo-Aryans,Nuristanis and Tocharians form a strong confederation and spread across large regions of Eurasia and build a large civilization like Rome's.

indo-Aryans,Iranians,Anatolians and Nuristanis form a confederation and establish a large empire in massive regions of West and Central Asia and parts of Europe.

I find these two very interesting. But I am now finding out viable PODs for this to happen.

Similar History Discussions