The Tocharians, who were they, and their contributions to pre-islamic central Asia

Jul 2012
Somewhere
The Tocharians were an indo-European people that inhabited the modern day area of Xinjiang in China. Their language was also an indo-European language. It is speculated that the Tocharians helped spread Buddhism through the Silk Road. In the 7th century, as the Uyghur Khaganate was collapsing, many Turkic migrants come to the area that the Tocharians inhabited and many Tocharians converted to Islam and may have intermarried with Turkic people while some may have went to central Asia. Did some flee the region and migrate to the Bactria region?

Nov 2014
India
The Tocharians were an indo-European people that inhabited the modern day area of Xinjiang in China. Their language was also an indo-European language. It is speculated that the Tocharians helped spread Buddhism through the Silk Road. In the 7th century, as the Uyghur Khaganate was collapsing, many Turkic migrants come to the area that the Tocharians inhabited and many Tocharians converted to Islam and may have intermarried with Turkic people while some may have went to central Asia. Did some flee the region and migrate to the Bactria region?
Their language was centum.

Feb 2014
Asia
greatstreetwarrior said:
I think a modern indo aryan Central Asia might well have turned Hindu eventually and would have been better for the world and china and India rather than Turkic nomadic states that spawned there
There are no Indo-Aryan languages in modern Central Asia ???

Jul 2012
Somewhere
There are no Indo-Aryan languages in modern Central Asia ???
Yes Tajik and Balochi are spoken in Tajikistan,Kyrgyzstan, Uzbekistan and Turkmenistan. Also many people in the former Soviet Republics will know Russian alongside their native languages and the fact there are other European groups (ie Polish, Ukrainians, Romanians, Germans, etc) that were sent to Central Asia, there are plenty of Indo-Aryan languages spoken there.

Aupmanyav

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
New Delhi, India
Did some flee the region and migrate to the Bactria region?
I doubt that. Before Islam came to Xinzang, Bactria was perhaps already Islamic. Therefore, they would not have any place to migrate to. I think they all accepted Islam as people in Kargil, Dras, Gilgit and Chitral have done. A few might have migrated to China and inter-mingled with the Han people.

Nov 2014
India
Yes Tajik and Balochi are spoken in Tajikistan,Kyrgyzstan, Uzbekistan and Turkmenistan. Also many people in the former Soviet Republics will know Russian alongside their native languages and the fact there are other European groups (ie Polish, Ukrainians, Romanians, Germans, etc) that were sent to Central Asia, there are plenty of Indo-Aryan languages spoken there.
They are not Indo-Aryan languages. Most are from Indo-Iranian group.

Jul 2012
Somewhere
I doubt that. Before Islam came to Xinzang, Bactria was perhaps already Islamic. Therefore, they would not have any place to migrate to. I think they all accepted Islam as people in Kargil, Dras, Gilgit and Chitral have done. A few might have migrated to China and inter-mingled with the Han people.
Historians estimate that Islam came to the Bactria region from 642-870. When Islam came to that region the majority of the converts were from Pagan religions in that region as well as Christianity. There are sites in the Bactria region like the Buddhas of Bamiyan which were estimated to be completed in 507-544 CE. It is possible that some did migrate there and live out in the Buddhist communities there before converting to Islam.

Aupmanyav

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
New Delhi, India
IMHO, Central Asia was pagan and loosely Buddhist, that is why they easily converted to Islam. Hinduism in a way was a stronger religion.

Similar History Discussions