The top 10 most popularly worshipped Gods of Hindu faith

Jul 2017
Sydney
I think Hanuman is worshipped in all parts of India. His temples are widespread in Maharashtra, where he is Maruti.

Same is the case everywhere you go, you can find a Maruti or Hanuman temple anywhere.

He may be the most revered as Shaiva, Vaishnava and Shaktas all pray to him. He is like a consensus candidate for all parties :zany:

Aupmanyav

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
New Delhi, India
I challenge you to quote lines from any PurANa and show me that the story pre-dated coming of Aryas (I know it is foolish to assume AryAs came to their own homeland).
The challenge is a non-starter. These stories and characters are not historical. Even if they are, there are no proof other than what people believe - This was Lord Rama's capital, this was Janaka's capital, this is Mother Sita's kitchen. Or this is where Lord Krishna was born, this is the bend of Yamuna where Lord Krishna subdued the serpent Kaliya, this is where Lord Krishna and Mother Radha used to meet secretly and that they still do it every day. So, how do you think I should meet your challenge?

Aatreya

Ad Honorem
Dec 2014
USA
The challenge is a non-starter. These stories and characters are not historical. Even if they are, there are no proof other than what people believe - This was Lord Rama's capital, this was Janaka's capital, this is Mother Sita's kitchen. Or this is where Lord Krishna was born, this is the bend of Yamuna where Lord Krishna subdued the serpent Kaliya, this is where Lord Krishna and Mother Radha used to meet secretly and that they still do it every day. So, how do you think I should meet your challenge?
You were the one who said the stories were pre-Vedic and were hijacked by the Vedic people. Bigger claims come with bigger burden of evidence. You thought you would get away by blowing hot air?

Jul 2017
Sydney
Well, the easiest way to solve this problem is archeology but that can't be decided amongst us here on this forum.

We would need to get in touch with the Archaeological Survey of India and conduct the required due diligence to proceed with excavations in the desired areas. In some areas we may find very obvious proofs, in other we may need to get creative and deduce evidence from seemingly unpromising exteriors.

But yes these questions can certainly be decided one way or the other at least as far as they are concerned with historically known places

Aupmanyav

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
New Delhi, India
You were the one who said the stories were pre-Vedic and were hijacked by the Vedic people. Bigger claims come with bigger burden of evidence. You thought you would get away by blowing hot air?
Underline mine.
After the Aryans merged with the indigenous, you cannot differentiate between them. Then, they were all Indians, whether the people had Aryan roots or indigenous. We are such people. We are the result of this mingling. We had access to both stories, whether Vedic of indigeous, both were ours, and we played with them, mixing up things at will. Those are puranas, not exactly history, but greater than that - a guide to peaceful and spriritually satisfying living.
Well, the easiest way to solve this problem is archeology but that can't be decided amongst us here on this forum.
True, it cannot be decided in the forums. We may all have our views. But finding such explicit archaeological evidence is very difficult. And even if we find it, deciphering it is another mountain to climb. We have the evidence from Indus/Saraswati valley sites, but can't make much of it.

Aatreya

Ad Honorem
Dec 2014
USA
Underline mine.
After the Aryans merged with the indigenous, you cannot differentiate between them. Then, they were all Indians, whether the people had Aryan roots or indigenous. We are such people. We are the result of this mingling. We had access to both stories, whether Vedic of indigeous, both were ours, and we played with them, mixing up things at will. Those are puranas, not exactly history, but greater than that - a guide to peaceful and spriritually satisfying living.True, it cannot be decided in the forums. We may all have our views. But finding such explicit archaeological evidence is very difficult. And even if we find it, deciphering it is another mountain to climb. We have the evidence from Indus/Saraswati valley sites, but can't make much of it.
When you do not have any clue of mingling, why do you talk such things? Fact is you have no proper idea of scriptures and the way they are organized either. Just because Tilak thought his ancestors came from Arctic, it doesn't make it a sane theory.

When you do not know what is Aryan thought/story and what is not, how do you think it makes any sense that the ideas mixed? Without knowing any properties of Hydrogen/Oxygen, how could we even claim that Hydrogen and Oxygen exist in water? To determine the latter, you need to identify former components.

Oct 2018
Adelaide south Australia
Below a non Hindu's perception, no offence is meant to any Hindu.

Hard to choose; there are approximately 15 million gods in Hinduism , depending on your perspective. Hinduism also claims there is only one God, Shiva .There are seven gods which represent seven aspects of Shiva. They are:

1. Dreaming force - Indra

2. Illusory force - Shakti

3. Voluntary force - Brahma

4. Semi voluntary force - Vishnu

5. Involuntary force - Shiva

6. Status altering force - Shan

7 Compulsive force-Yama.

Hinduism is everything to all men; it can be simple, complex, or sublime, as in The Bhagavad Gita. Hinduism is theoretically the most inclusive religion ever invented. In practice, not so much, the caste system is alive and well in rural areas, and much evil is still done in the name of caste. Ingrained social norms cannot be ended by passing legislation.

I'm an atheist, but have a special affection for Ganesh, and have several small statues or him spread around my house. I like him because in Hindu mythology, it was Ganesh who wrote down the Mahabharata. I also see him as the patron of scholars.

Aupmanyav

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
New Delhi, India
How do you know Satyavati was non-Arya? What is in her name that is not Arya?
As per the legend, Satyavati was a fisherman's daughter with a bad body smell.Sage Parashar promised that he would remove the bad smell if Sayavati cohabited with him and replace it with a heavenly smell. Satyavati complied and Sage VedaVyasa was born out of this union. Later the beauty and body smell of Satyavati attracted Shantanu, the Kuru emperor and he agreed to marry her on her terms (that Shantanu's elser son, later named Bhishma, would not succeed him and her son would be the emperor). After Shantanu's death, the elder son of Satyavati, Chitrangada, become the emperor. Chitrangada, however was killed in a battle and was succeeded by Satyavati's other son, Vichitravirya. The rest is history (or probably myth).

You know all this. Why do you ask?