The Trend to Fake Islamic Science

Feb 2011
Jan 2016
United States, MO
Do you have any evidence for fake miniatures making their way into respected academic works? Or is this just a random quote on the internet which has no shred of credibility?

Jun 2018
Earth
Do you have any evidence for fake miniatures making their way into respected academic works? Or is this just a random quote on the internet which has no shred of credibility?
Well, considering the author of the article is a professor of Ottoman history, and a person who has seen and read many books on Islamic history, I would say the claim made by the article is quite credible.

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
Unfortunately fake images about history pollute the internet and pass to society and from the society they pass to the Academia.

It is not easy to distinguish some, since many are based in real illustrations. And it can be time consuming.

I recently noted this in a more vivid form since I became the founder of a “history” group in Deviantart, a hosting site for images and texts.

Jan 2014
Rus
So it isnt fake but semi-truth

The fully fake history of science is Chinese. They "invented" everything from powder to compass, but met Europeans with bows and other primitive technics.

Aug 2010
Welsh Marches
The first picture shown in the article is a very obvious fake. In general one has to be extremely wary of claims made about medieval Islamic science, even coming from apparently reputable sources; the exhibition of '1001 Islamic inventions' and accompanying book are an absolute scandal, conmtaining the most dreadful nonsense and misrepresenations, and yet it got postive coverage in papers like the Guardian and Telegraph.

Jan 2016
United States, MO
So it isnt fake but semi-truth

The fully fake history of science is Chinese. They "invented" everything from powder to compass, but met Europeans with bows and other primitive technics.
It is a fact that they invented gunpowder to the compass. And they made continuous use of the technology before and after European arrival. There are some false claims that people say about China, but these are not two of them.

Jan 2016
United States, MO
Well, considering the author of the article is a professor of Ottoman history, and a person who has seen and read many books on Islamic history, I would say the claim made by the article is quite credible.
Yes, it appears as though forgeries and crappy replicas are slipping through the cracks. This is disappointing, but not entirely unexpected. Most reproduction swords on the market are total junk which bear only a minor resemblance to actual artifacts. I had a professor of medieval history who graduated from the University of Chicago tell me that knights couldn't get up after falling down because their armor was too heavy. As educated as some historians are when it comes to primary texts, famous events, and historical trends, they can sometimes be blatantly ignorant of certain basic realities of the material world of the period in which they specialize.

These paintings are by laymen to sell to tourists and educated individuals, who know middle eastern history but obviously lack training in art history, mistake the fakes for authentic paintings and then put the paintings on the covers of their books.

Similar History Discussions