The Troubles, a reading list?

Mar 2010
Good morning all,
It feels like an age since I posted here but sometimes I just know someone will be able to help me on this forum.

I recently began wwatching the BBC's current documentary after several family members visited Belfast. Which has led to me gaining a serious fascination with the troubles themselves and I ended up making the trip to Belfast to see the Murals myself. As you can imagine, just about every bookshop contained at least a section on the Troubles within them so it was a little tough to know where to start.

A family member very kindly gifted me Peter Taylors trilogy: Provos, Loyalists and The Brits. However I am wondering if anybody has any other recommendations? I am interested in most aspects of the troubles and I don't want to be restricted to 1960's to 1990's, I am happy to go back to the late 1800's and early 1900's to really try to get to grips with where it all began. I am also interested in books wrote from all sides of the spectrum so please, any suggestions are most welcome!

Kind regards,
Steven

Jul 2019
New Jersey
Tim Pat Coogan's The IRA is a very good history of the RA, although, as can be expected, the author holds a substantial amount of sympathy for the IRA. That said, he doesn't shrink away from describing the atrocities of either side. I think it's the best book I've ever read on modern Irish history. Coogan has a number of other books on the IRA and the troubles, but i haven't read them so I can't tell you how good they are.

Last edited:
Jul 2019
New Jersey
J B Bell is great. He also wrote a book on the Irgun and Lehi called Terror out of Zion. Good stuff.