The Turin Shroud

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
It would seems to me that spending good metals for nails was not usual
quite a few crucifixion candidates would have been tied with ropes
the point was to have them die very slowly as a display while advertising the power of Rome
I would guess they would become delirious after a few hours and pass out soon enough

Mar 2014
NE USA
In the wrists yes, sorry.
Recent studies have shown that men were crucified with nails in the wrists, but it was totally forgotten in medieval times, and until recently. We know it from tests made on dead bodies. Corpses can't get fix with nails in palms. And we have recently found skeleton of a crucified men with nails in the wrists. That's why all the past representations of Christ show him with nails in his hands. All... Except the Turin shroud apparently...
This is neither for, or against authenticity.

There was a woman recently who ordered a Mariah Carey cake. But the bake shop delivered her a Marie Curie (discovered Radium) cake.

So the hired artist could have goofed? But if you look closely at the cartoonish hands of the subject, the wound looks in between the palm, and the wrist. This is due to the freakishly long fingers, and next to nothing palm surface area.

Jan 2017
Sydney
the Dutch East Indian company had some problem recruiting cheap sailors
the good ones didn't like the low pay or the long trip away from home
they would rather go Whaling or do the Atlantic run

as a result the company bought people who were in debt to the Amsterdam hostelries , often kidnapped really
their debt papers were traded by "soul merchants " and send onto the ships at the last moment

enforcing discipline was brutal , for fighting the guilty was nailed to the main mast with his own knife through the palm of his hand ....sharp side facing up ,
the only way to get out was for the man to pull the hand out , cutting through the webbing of the fingers
so I guess a nail through the palm would'nt be structurally strong enough to hold the weigh of a man

Similar History Discussions