The U.S. only purchases New Orleans in 1803

stevev

Ad Honorem
Apr 2017
Las Vegas, NV USA
Would the US actually be interested in the rest of Louisiana if it already has New Orleans, though?

Absolutely! Jefferson in particular wanted this vast territory explored and eventually developed. New Orleans + the Louisiana Territory was far greater than each of the two separately due to its immediate proximity to the existing territory of the US.

Also, wouldn't Britain easily be able to blockade Louisiana?
Any port was at risk for blockade in time of war. The ultimate solution was a large and effective navy.

Last edited:
Sep 2013
New Zealand
Would the US actually be interested in the rest of Louisiana if it already has New Orleans, though?

Also, wouldn't Britain easily be able to blockade Louisiana?
I can't provide e a source right now, but I believe the British actually lent the USA the money for the purchase

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Chlodio

Ad Honorem
Aug 2016
Dispargum
Re: building a canal, but not from Wyoming to Texas

I meant in Louisiana, but around New Orleans. From the Gulf of Mexico to the Mississippi River at some point in northern Louisiana.
OK, that makes more sense, but I still don't see the economic impetus for such a canal.
1) There's no other port in Louisianna to rival New Orleans.
2) There's not enough business/trade/resources on the Great Plains to justify the cost of such a canal. Most trade through New Orleans was coming from the eastern bank of the Mississippi ie, the Ohio Valley.
3) It wouldn't be that hard for France or Spain to keep using an American New Orleans. Before purchasing Louisianna the US had used Spanish/French New Orleans with a minimum of hassle.
4) The value of the Louisianna Purchase was not evenly distributed across all of that territory in 1803. The overwhelming portion of the total value was concentrated in New Orleans. Without New Orleans, the rest of the Purchase was not worth having.
5) The potential value of the LP was much greater to the US with its doctrine of Manifest Destiny, than it was to France or Spain who by 1803 were starting to divest themselves of American colonies (not always voluntarily).