The unusual ornaments of the Indus priest-king

Mar 2015
Germany
Hello!

Front: Priest King, Mohenjo-daro.
Back: Priest King (back) Indus.

Notice the headband with the ring (?). Such a headband is unusual in today's Indian culture as far as I know.

Wagenlenker_von_Delphi_Gesicht.jpg
Charioteer of Delphi wearing a fillet headband

200px-ReliefOfAmenhotepIII-ThebanTomb57.png
Amenhotep III wearing a diadem with a snake

Aino_from_Shiraoi,_one_of_the_villages_where_the_Aino_lives_(10795475815).jpg
Ainu man wearing a headband with a snake (?)

The pattern of the robe is also unusual for India. It reminds me of flowers or clovers. Maybe the flowers are not part of the robe but actual flowers.

Ornaments.jpg

May 2013
The abode of the lord of the north
Hello!

Front: Priest King, Mohenjo-daro.
Back: Priest King (back) Indus.

Notice the headband with the ring (?). Such a headband is unusual in today's Indian culture as far as I know.

View attachment 8318
Charioteer of Delphi wearing a fillet headband

View attachment 8319
Amenhotep III wearing a diadem with a snake

View attachment 8320
Ainu man wearing a headband with a snake (?)

The pattern of the robe is also unusual for India. It reminds me of flowers or clovers. Maybe the flowers are not part of the robe but actual flowers.

View attachment 8321
May be Indus valley people made a burst of some bloke who toured their land, a foreigner! :lol: You may never know ;)

Feb 2015
UK
Lot of time has passed since Mohenjo Daro and Harrapan Civilization. 4,500 years is a long time so you can't expect to find much left from that time.

In addition if you were going to find anything you would expect to find it in the environs of Mohenjo Daro which is in Pakistan not India.

Before anybody says Pakistan was not around I assure you neither was India. Even the term 'India' had not been coined.

It also struck me that those pattern on the robe look like Irish Shamrock. May be he was a Irish Celtic priest on a tour ?

Location Mohenjo Daro, Sindh, Pakistan: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place...1s0x39350a713719d55f:0x72b723adb98b8c6b?hl=en

Last edited:

tornada

Ad Honoris
Mar 2013
India
In addition if you were going to find anything you would expect to find it in the environs of Mohenjo Daro which is in Pakistan not India.

Before anybody says Pakistan was not around I assure you neither was India. Even the term 'India' had not been coined.
Or in Dholavira, or Rakhigarhi, or Lothal (their primary trade port)... All in India.

Coming to the OP - we know too little about the culture to hazard a guess about it. For instance, it could simply have been a piece of art brought from mesopotamia! Alternatively, it might have represented some sort of ceremonial dress. Does it look similar to other dresses? Sure, but then again, we are largely just seeing the head, and so the similarities may or may not actually be real similarities, just visually similar in representation.

Feb 2015
UK
Or in Dholavira, or Rakhigarhi, or Lothal (their primary trade port)... All in India.

Coming to the OP - we know too little about the culture to hazard a guess about it. For instance, it could simply have been a piece of art brought from mesopotamia! Alternatively, it might have represented some sort of ceremonial dress. Does it look similar to other dresses? Sure, but then again, we are largely just seeing the head, and so the similarities may or may not actually be real similarities, just visually similar in representation.
I would wager a bet that priest king is not from those dust, myth moles you mentioned. In inverse propertion I would wager that that bust is either from Mohenjo Daro or Harrapa. Almost all the artifects worth mentioning are from Mohenjo Dar or Harrapa.

I let OP tell us where they from. If they are from those dust, myth moles than I owe you a apology :)

tornada

Ad Honoris
Mar 2013
India
I would wager a bet that priest king is not from those dust, myth moles you mentioned. In inverse propertion I would wager that that bust is either from Mohenjo Daro or Harrapa. Almost all the artifects worth mentioning are from Mohenjo Dar or Harrapa.

I let OP tell us where they from. If they are from those dust, myth moles than I owe you a apology :)
Yes, dust moles - the central trading site of the IVC. Their largest industrial center. Among their most elaborate cities. Yes, these are just "dust". Why not. You aren't exactly current with the data, nor do you seem interested in facts, so go ahead consider these "dust". Doesn't stop them from being central to the archaeology of the IVC.

tornada

Ad Honoris
Mar 2013
India
For those wanting a little perspective
[ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dholavira]Dholavira - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

[ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rakhigarhi]Rakhigarhi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

[ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lothal]Lothal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

Shaheen

Ad Honorem
May 2011
Sweden
@ OP: The robe of the priest is an earlier version of the modern day ajrak which is an integral part of Sindhi culture.

A cloak with a stylized trefoil design covers his left shoulder. This garment resembles the popular ajrak, a block-printed shawl of cotton that is special to Indus culture today
page 25, The Human Record: Sources of Global History, Volume I: To 1500 By Alfred Andrea, James Overfield

The motif and the diadem do however suggest foreign influences.

"The celebrated statue of the King Priest discovered at Moenjodaro has a trefoil motif on the draped shawl. The ajrak craftsmen claim that the pattern is kakar, a cloud pattern. The same trefoil is seen on the Hathor Cow and on the bodies of Sumerian bulls in Mesopotamia where the concept of trinity was evolved. The trefoil is thought to be composed of three sun discs fused together to represent the inseparable unity of the Gods of Sun, Water and Earth."

"AJRAK: CLOTH FROM THE SOIL OF SINDH" by NOORJEHAN BILGRAMI

It is well known that the Indus people traded with Mesopotamians and even Egyptians so it shouldnt be a surprise if one can find influences from these civilizations on the IVC.

Feb 2015
UK
@Shaheen

Thank you for making that clear to us. That's why your a Shaheen and I am not.

@ Tornado. I called them dust molehills for a reason. Most of what you say or Hindutwa sourced information is just historical revisionism going on. What is a fact is the artifacts and what is tangible.

Since this issue keeps on going around and around why don't you open another thread and show us what artifacts you have from those sites in India?

I suspect nothing.

Ps. Anybody who read George Orwell's Animal Farm will recollect the Animal song "four legs are good and 2 legs bad and how it was changed to "Four legs are good but 2 legs better".

In the same way Indus Valley Civilisation is being rebranded by Hindutwa driven brigades to Indus -Saraswati Civilization spun on nothing but mythical name of a Hindu river derived from scriptures.

That there are traces just over the border in India is inevitable as no civilization stays within a box. A tree in my garden will over time extend it's branches over the wall into neighbours garden.

Last edited:

tornada

Ad Honoris
Mar 2013
India
@ OP: The robe of the priest is an earlier version of the modern day ajrak which is an integral part of Sindhi culture.

page 25, The Human Record: Sources of Global History, Volume I: To 1500 By Alfred Andrea, James Overfield

The motif and the diadem do however suggest foreign influences.

"The celebrated statue of the King Priest discovered at Moenjodaro has a trefoil motif on the draped shawl. The ajrak craftsmen claim that the pattern is kakar, a cloud pattern. The same trefoil is seen on the Hathor Cow and on the bodies of Sumerian bulls in Mesopotamia where the concept of trinity was evolved. The trefoil is thought to be composed of three sun discs fused together to represent the inseparable unity of the Gods of Sun, Water and Earth."

"AJRAK: CLOTH FROM THE SOIL OF SINDH" by NOORJEHAN BILGRAMI

It is well known that the Indus people traded with Mesopotamians and even Egyptians so it shouldnt be a surprise if one can find influences from these civilizations on the IVC.
IIRC - they also found evidence of silk in the IVC, suggesting trade with China.

But it is true that more and more evidence is coming up suggesting that there was significant population and cultural continuity between the IVC and later Indians. Thanks for the information on the Sindhi dress. It was illuminating. In conjunction with the fire altars at Lothal and Kalibangan, the yogic positions of the Proto-Shiva seal (I really hate that term proto-Shiva BTW. It suggests a major connection, when infact the link is rather dubious and doesn't have evidence. I've always found Prajapati/Proto-Prajapati to be better), etc all suggesting a significant level of cultural continuity.

Similar History Discussions