The unusual ornaments of the Indus priest-king

Hello!

Front: Priest King, Mohenjo-daro.
Back: Priest King (back) Indus.

Notice the headband with the ring (?). Such a headband is unusual in today's Indian culture as far as I know.

View attachment 8318
Charioteer of Delphi wearing a fillet headband

View attachment 8319
Amenhotep III wearing a diadem with a snake

View attachment 8320
Ainu man wearing a headband with a snake (?)

The pattern of the robe is also unusual for India. It reminds me of flowers or clovers. Maybe the flowers are not part of the robe but actual flowers.

View attachment 8321
The original label from Harappa.com itself gives sufficient information on the object.

I really am not familiar with Indians wearing a ribbon around the forehead with a circular ring in the center. Seems unusual.

All the subsequent examples posted in the thread are nowhere close to the priest king.

Armband with ring however is extremely common.

So whats the conclusion? I can only think of it being an oddity that needs explaining. It is something un-Indian - something alien looking. The peculiar shaving of the moustache but leaving a full beard is also very strange.

Thanks for focussing attention on this. I had previously looked hard at this figure and my main conclusion was - no sacred thread ! Which of course is related to the Iranian Kushti and came much later in maybe 1200 BC.

Hi Vajra. Yes I have got a few days off before work pressures resume.

The back side of the figure with the flat head suggesting some head dress was attached seems to indicate that the statue would have represented a shamanistic figure. Similar to the wild head dress wearing person shown in seals.

Nothing similar in later Hinduism. This is a unique feature of Harappan religion.

tornada

Ad Honoris
Mar 2013
India

The back side of the figure with the flat head suggesting some head dress was attached seems to indicate that the statue would have represented a shamanistic figure. Similar to the wild head dress wearing person shown in seals.

Nothing similar in later Hinduism. This is a unique feature of Harappan religion.
That's premised on the assumption that it is directly related to Harappan culture or religion in some way. But given the absence of text and similar artefacts that's just one of quite a few equally valid conclusions. Religious, Political, economic any number of theories are possible. Maybe he was an artist? We cant be certain as to what sort of function if any is symbolized by the statue until we get some evidence telling us something about the piece.

Vajra

Ad Honorem
May 2013
India
Indian threads will be dead without contributors like you ;)

The back side of the figure with the flat head suggesting some head dress was attached seems to indicate that the statue would have represented a shamanistic figure.
Which one?

Anyway,I have something in my mind.But I cant search the pics for it because Im stuck with mobile data for next few days thanks to laptop wifi being annihilated by rain :(

Vajra

Ad Honorem
May 2013
India
Finally,back on my laptop.

I could not post this from mobile so here it is:

Early depictions of Brahmin ascetics from the Buddhist stupas.Except for the beards and hairstyle,they have similar dress like the priest king and other Harappan sculptures.Later Buddhist monks also wore(some still do) similar dress like the priest king and this Harappan sculpture(with one shoulder uncovered):

Yes,same dress was used by the Sumerians,I would have mistaken this Sumerian dude for a Buddhist monk if he was found in India!

Also Bactrians(BMAC):

Or could this one be another Harappan import?He looks awfully similar to the Priest king and the other priest king like figures from the Harappan vase discovered from BMAC.Except that this dude doesn't have the head and arm bands.

Last edited:

tornada

Ad Honoris
Mar 2013
India
There's not nearly enough detail to conclude "same dress" in most of those images. All unstitched cloth can only be draped around your body in so many ways. The conclusion seems flawed. If you saw a sculpture of a bald Roman senator you'd assume he was an Indian Buddhist based on this sort of conclusion.

Vajra

Ad Honorem
May 2013
India
There's not nearly enough detail to conclude "same dress" in most of those images. All unstitched cloth can only be draped around your body in so many ways. The conclusion seems flawed. If you saw a sculpture of a bald Roman senator you'd assume he was an Indian Buddhist based on this sort of conclusion.

Why are you putting words into my mouth?I never said they are all related! I talked about three distinct cultures : SSC,BMAC and Sumerian.

Yes,this dress style was common in the Hellenistic world as well.

Similar History Discussions