The unusual ornaments of the Indus priest-king

Apr 2019
India
Vedik men used to have full beard and this tradition continued among later forest dwelling ascetics.

The unusual head-band might have fell out of fashion to be replaced by the turbans.

Apr 2019
India
no it didn't

View attachment 17316

head bands were very common in IVC, people used it to tie their hair as well
You mean it did not fell out of fashion after IVC?
What is the time period of the first guy?
Indian still use bandanas in rural India.

I don't think those guys are exactly fighting over the woman. It could be competition for winning hand of the bride.

Mar 2019
KL
You mean it did not fell out of fashion after IVC?
What is the time period of the first guy?
Indian still use bandanas in rural India.

I don't think those guys are exactly fighting over the woman. It could be competition for winning hand of the bride.
your theories are pretty interesting tbh

the bust is probably from early centuries AD, its from bactria.

regards

Apr 2019
India
your theories are pretty interesting tbh

the bust is probably from early centuries AD, its from bactria.

regards
I'm just speculating like all other historians do. It can also be a festival or dance or ritual or anything else why should we limit our imagination to fights.

If we suppose that IVC was same as Vedik civilization then I also have a theory why Indus script stopped existing and reappeared in the form of Brahmi later.
I think IVC script was a mercantile script. We know Indians preferred oral transmission of knowledge in form of poetry and sutras. We also know from the 'myths' that even verbal promises were treated equal to signed contracts. This arrangement will work well between the people of similiar culture/religion/laws but what if they have to communicate with the outer world?
We know people of IVC were trading with other contemporary civilizations so they would have needed a script so would have the rulers/administrators to control the trade.
But in the later period the trade disappered so did the seals with inscribed words.

But the script was still there among the successors of those traders and they refined it to form Brahmi which made it's fist appearance in Mauryan stone inscriptions(probably inspired by Achaemenid empire).

Mar 2019
KL
We know Indians preferred oral transmission of knowledge in form of poetry and sutras.
oral transmission doesnt mean no written transmission, the epic of gilgamesh for instance was also written in the poetic form, but it was also written down. most of the earliest compositions was done in poetic form, only very later the prose started to be composed.

regards

Similar History Discussions