The US bombed the USSR in 1950?

Status
Closed

betgo

Ad Honorem
Jul 2011
Apparently the US bombed a Soviet air base near Korea, during the Korean War on October 8, 1950. Is this true? If so, what was the purpose? Was it intended to send some message? Was it ordered by Macarthur (who was relieved of command a few months later) without authorization? What was the Soviet reaction? I would assume they sent a cable or something protesting.

Jan 2016
Boland
This happened where 1 plane was destroyed and another 7 were damaged. This happened during the Korean war. The Americans apologized and declared it was a mistake due to the weather. Soviets doubted this (this was after all the beginnings of the cold war), whatever the reasons, the Americans apologized, the officers who were to keep things under control in that army base were demoted to having not fulfilled their duties and the Un offered to pay for all damages. Nothing major happened in the end.

Jun 2013
Siberia, deep in taiga
Yes, for the first time I heard about it yesterday on this forum. I googled this event and found a lot of links in Russian, one link from Dutch Wikipedia. Would be great to read more about it in English.

From Russian sources only two names of American pilots are known: Olton Qwonbeck and Allen Diffendorf. Pronunciation I used might be wrong. Qwonbeck gave an interview to either Washington Post or New York Times in 1990.

The article was posted in 1990 in Washington Post, "My short war with Russia".

Last edited:

holoow

Ad Honorem
Jun 2012
Vilnius, Lithuania
This happened where 1 plane was destroyed and another 7 were damaged. This happened during the Korean war. The Americans apologized and declared it was a mistake due to the weather. Soviets doubted this (this was after all the beginnings of the cold war), whatever the reasons, the Americans apologized, the officers who were to keep things under control in that army base were demoted to having not fulfilled their duties and the Un offered to pay for all damages. Nothing major happened in the end.
Actually more than 20 Soviet planes were damaged ArtOfWar. Ñàõîí÷èê Ñòàíèñëàâ Ìèòðîôàíîâè÷. Äîëãîå ýõî Ñóõîé Ðå÷êè

Not very reliable source, however Russian author working with KGB documents claims that Americans damaged 103 planes.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMRmarj3uRU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMRmarj3uRU[/ame]

At Each Kilometer

Ad Honorem
Sep 2012
Bulgaria
From the video (post above) I heard (near the end) "<(they) killed Stalin>< Stalin was poisoned?> <(He was) poisoned>". 103 planes destroyed. Wow.

Jun 2013
Siberia, deep in taiga
He also claims that Stalin was poisoned by the US. Though, that would be a good topic for other thread.

AlpinLuke

Forum Staff
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
WE WERE skimming the tops of clouds at 37,000 feet when I decided to start our letdown into the target, 10 minutes earlier than planned. We armed our .50-caliber machine guns in preparation for action.
It was Oct. 8, 1950, early in the Korean War, and two of us -- myself and my wingman, Al Diefendorf -- were on a mission over North Korea. Only later did we learn that we had strayed and were, in fact, a few miles inside the Soviet Union.
This is the beginning of an article which appeared on Washington Post in 1990
https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/opinions/1990/03/04/my-brief-war-with-russia/0fe9d000-9796-4c6c-9df4-77a956bf5e96/

In the article there is an interesting note:
Even if I could have identified distinctive terrain features, it was unlikely I could have related them to the crude maps I carried on the mission.
So, it was the scarce instrumental support of the planes of that period not to aid enough the pilots regarding their position.

AlpinLuke

Forum Staff
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
Coming back to this matter, my impression is that the pilots simply lost knowledge of their accurate position and, being at war, they noted military units ... The article is interesting. I will look for other material from US newspapers.

Jan 2015
meo
Coming back to this matter, my impression is that the pilots simply lost knowledge of their accurate position and, being at war, they noted military units ... The article is interesting. I will look for other material from US newspapers.

That's what I said when I "accidentally" entered my neighbor house and have sex with his wife.

The bombing was in October 8 but China only intervened by October 19. The pilots must be freaking stupid if he thought that NK has a big ass airport with more than dozen of aircraft. It's North Korea. What is the last time North Korea had any fighter or bomber to begin with?

My 2 cents is that douche Douglas thought it's a nice idea to scare the Soviet by bombing their airport.

Last edited:
Status
Closed