The US decides to go full protectionist in the 70s

Sep 2013
Chattanooga, TN
My criticisms would be directed at the foolishness that created such circumstances in the first place - decades in the making.
I had three alerts when I signed in today. Two of the three were on pages of threads in which the word foolishness was used. I have seen the word foolishness used several other times on this message board other than those two times. I almost never see or hear anyone write or say the word foolishness in meat space. Along with many of you people, I really like that word foolishness a lot :p

Rodger

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
US
I have never heard anyone refer to a policy as lazy before, and doubt you could make that case.

On the other hand your criticism seems lazy, and that case seems to make itself.

You first posted this
"Can anyone find a single industry today that is benefitting from the current round of tariffs?"
Even the dairy industry is suffering."
I took me ten seconds to make an internet search, turn up a list, and post "steel" industry - which you admitted rebuked your hypothesis. Wouldn't that lack of diligence in developing a criticism qualify as "lazy?"

And this week from Gallup"
"A majority of Americans, 56%, rate their current financial situation as "excellent" (12%) or "good" (44%), while 29% rate it as "only fair" and 15% as "poor." This overall positive rating has increased 10 percentage points since 2015 and is currently the highest since 2002, though it is statistically unchanged since last year."

Maybe you need to explain to these people who are not in the 12% that said "poor," that they are suffering that EVEN the dairy industry is suffering. The dairy farm line should really convince -
as apparently the durable dairy industry is always the last domino to fall.
U.S. Steel just announce $1 Billion investment into two (the only remaining two) plants in the Pittsburgh area. This is a huge investment in two long time depressed towns.
U.S. Steel announces $1B investment in Edgar Thomson, Clairton plants | TribLIVE.com

Code Blue

Ad Honorem
Feb 2015
Caribbean
Service economy - Wikipedia
Tertiary sector of the economy - Wikipedia

I don't really get the rest of your post(maybe I could try to eat, wear, and drive manufacturing and raw materials???). Have you seriously no idea what service economy is? Try building a house without buying the materials and services from anyone else and you'll be living in the stone age.
Buying materials is materials, not service.

Service economy is a bit of a myth. There is no prosperity without material. Like I said, one cannot wear, live in and eat service, and anyone who thinks its no problem for the US to have exported so much of its base activity is wrong. .

May 2017
Monterrey
Buying materials is materials, not service.
Don't be silly. If you purchase tools from home depot you are using services. Or do you think they manufacture the tools on-site? Are you living in some sort of barter economy? What do you think money is? There is more money in selling manufactured goods than there is in making manufacturing goods. That's how things work and have worked for a long time.

EDIT:
Or how do you even think factories work for that matter? How do you think goods and raw materials end up where they are needed? Do the truck drivers mine the ore or suck out the oil from earth?

Code Blue

Ad Honorem
Feb 2015
Caribbean
Don't be silly. If you purchase tools from home depot you are using services. Or do you think they manufacture the tools on-site? Are you living in some sort of barter economy? What do you think money is? There is more money in selling manufactured goods than there is in making manufacturing goods. That's how things work and have worked for a long time.

EDIT:
Or how do you even think factories work for that matter? How do you think goods and raw materials end up where they are needed? Do the truck drivers mine the ore or suck out the oil from earth?
"Don't be silly?" Is that called for?

Tools are not service. They are manufactured products, and without the products, there would be nothing to bootstrap an overly broad definition of service.
Money is not a service. It is a product.
Babysitting is a service.

And what is "money in?" Are you trying to say one does not realize a profit until one sells the goods? So.

Last edited:
May 2017
Monterrey
"Don't be silly?" Is that called for?

Tools are not service. They are manufactured products, and without the products, there would be nothing to bootstrap an overly broad definition of service.
Money is not a service. It is a product.
Babysitting is a service.

And what is "money in?" Are you trying to say one does not realize a profit until one sells the goods? So.
Selling tools is a service. Transporting tools is a service. Yadda, yadda, which part are you not getting? Are you really sticking to your own definition of economy?

Similar History Discussions