The US of 1890 moves back to 1590

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
What if Alien Space Bats would have moved the US of 1890 back to 1590? In other words, the US is going to look just like it did in 1890 but the rest of the world is going to look just like it did in 1590.

Feb 2019
Pennsylvania, US
Those Space Bats are quite busy little things, aren't they? Naturally industrious...

So 1890 America, with it's opioid issues, telegraph offices, early horseless carriages, etc...? I suppose colonists from England (i.e.Roanoke Colony) would realize they were sharing the New World with a highly advanced society... but how quickly could they get word back to England about what was happening?

There would be time before the Puritans arrived... because I feel like the Puritans just like to hang people for whatever was convenient (“you're a witch/Quaker/sleeping around... we get to kill you.”) How weird would a clash between Puritans and late Victorians be?

Reactions: Futurist

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Those Space Bats are quite busy little things, aren't they? Naturally industrious...

So 1890 America, with it's opioid issues, telegraph offices, early horseless carriages, etc...? I suppose colonists from England (i.e.Roanoke Colony) would realize they were sharing the New World with a highly advanced society... but how quickly could they get word back to England about what was happening?

There would be time before the Puritans arrived... because I feel like the Puritans just like to hang people for whatever was convenient (“you're a witch/Quaker/sleeping around... we get to kill you.”) How weird would a clash between Puritans and late Victorians be?
The US had opioid issues in 1890?

As for the colonists from England, I suspect that they are going to be absolutely astounded by what they'll see and think that they're visiting El Dorado or something. Communications might be a little bit of a challenge since 1590 English wasn't quite the same as 1890 English. I suspect that many people are not going to believe them about this after they will return to England--which is why they are likely to bring over some souvenirs such as cameras, photographs, miniature trains, et cetera back to England.

As for the Puritans, they are likely to try settling in other parts of the New World in this scenario because the US is already taken.

BTW, is the US going to try aggressively expanding in this scenario in order to bring civilization to various other parts of the world?

Feb 2019
Pennsylvania, US
The US had opioid issues in 1890?

As for the colonists from England, I suspect that they are going to be absolutely astounded by what they'll see and think that they're visiting El Dorado or something. Communications might be a little bit of a challenge since 1590 English wasn't quite the same as 1890 English. I suspect that many people are not going to believe them about this after they will return to England--which is why they are likely to bring over some souvenirs such as cameras, photographs, miniature trains, et cetera back to England.

As for the Puritans, they are likely to try settling in other parts of the New World in this scenario because the US is already taken.

BTW, is the US going to try aggressively expanding in this scenario in order to bring civilization to various other parts of the world?

Oh man... yes, America had a drug issue in the 1800's and early 1900's. Aspirin was only introduced right before the turn of the century... and for years leading up to that, morphine and opioids were widely prescribed for pain both physical and mental. It was the most useful treatment in any doctors kit... and as they said, it was a drug that “cured nothing, but treated everything.” People were also taking cure-alls and targeted “medicines” (for coughs, toothaches, menstrual cramps, babies teething, etc) that contained opioids, so many were unknowingly imbibing and developing dependency.

But enough of that... Could you imagine opening a truck full of Victorian paraphernalia and presenting it to Elizabeth I? Not just potatoes and tobacco... but many of the things you've mentioned. It would be astounding.

And as for the late Victorians... I'm sure that sort of adventurer spirit of say, Teddy Roosevelt and his Rough Riders (though they would come into the picture closer to 1900), would probably define the military exploits and they'd grab up land... would they go North first? Or try their luck with New Spain?

Reactions: Futurist

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Oh man... yes, America had a drug issue in the 1800's and early 1900's. Aspirin was only introduced right before the turn of the century... and for years leading up to that, morphine and opioids were widely prescribed for pain both physical and mental. It was the most useful treatment in any doctors kit... and as they said, it was a drug that “cured nothing, but treated everything.” People were also taking cure-alls and targeted “medicines” (for coughs, toothaches, menstrual cramps, babies teething, etc) that contained opioids, so many were unknowingly imbibing and developing dependency.
Gotcha.

But enough of that... Could you imagine opening a truck full of Victorian paraphernalia and presenting it to Elizabeth I? Not just potatoes and tobacco... but many of the things you've mentioned. It would be astounding.
Her reaction might be similar to that of the Japanese leadership in 1853-1854 when Matthew Perry showed the Japanese the fruits of industrial civilizations in the US.

And as for the late Victorians... I'm sure that sort of adventurer spirit of say, Teddy Roosevelt and his Rough Riders (though they would come into the picture closer to 1900), would probably define the military exploits and they'd grab up land... would they go North first? Or try their luck with New Spain?
I think that they would aim for Canada first but also aim for New Spain after they will conquer Canada. Also, Cuba and the rest of the Caribbean might likewise be extremely attractive targets for US expansion.

Reactions: Niobe

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
I know that Coca Cola had cocaine until 1904, but isn't that different from opium?