The US of 1890 moves back to 1590

Feb 2019
Pennsylvania, US
Cocaine is a stimulant, the small amounts available in Coca-cola would make you feel lifted, like a lot of caffeine... Opium (laudanum) is a pain killer, an analgesic, so it would kill pain, make you sleepy... so puts fussy babies to sleep, eases headaches, soothes depression... one doctor said he dosed a man with 1/2 grain of opium after a awful bar brawl and how he was sleeping peacefully within moments.

Society saw pain and discomfort as a malady in and of itself... so pain killers were doled out for psychological disorders (“nerves”), minor aches and pains, chronic ailments, cough, diarrhea, you name it... No pain = good. They didn't realize the consequences.

stevev

Ad Honorem
Apr 2017
Las Vegas, NV USA
Probably not in the amount that was in Coke by 1890 but it tasted good so people would drink more. When it was first marketed around 1884 it was much stronger. It raises blood pressure and can cause a stroke. As an upper it can produce manic and violent behavior. Opioids bring an anxious individual to a functional level but many overdose or develop dependancy. However they are still available by prescription. Cocaine is not available by Rx in the US as far as I know.

Last edited:
Feb 2019
Pennsylvania, US
Cocaine is still used topically - in opthomologic surgeries most of the time... topically applied it numbs and also constricts blood vessels (cuts down on bleeding), which is pretty useful for surgery.

That's creepy about ODing on Coca-cola! No wonder these Victorians were nuts. 😉

People are comparing the current opioid crisis in the US to the addiction issues in the late 1800's... Victorian vs. Modern Opium Dependency

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Probably not in the amount that was in Coke by 1890 but it tasted good so people would drink more. When it was first marketed around 1884 it was much stronger. It raises blood pressure and can cause a stroke. As an upper it can produce manic and violent behavior. Opioids bring an anxious individual to a functional level but many overdose or develop dependancy. However they are still available by prescription. Cocaine is not available by Rx in the US as far as I know.
Does AHDH medication work the same way today, but without the addiction?

stevev

Ad Honorem
Apr 2017
Las Vegas, NV USA
Cocaine is still used topically - in opthomologic surgeries most of the time... topically applied it numbs and also constricts blood vessels (cuts down on bleeding), which is pretty useful for surgery.
Yes but that's not prescription per se. The MD cannot write an Rx for cocaine for a patient in the US AFAIK..

stevev

Ad Honorem
Apr 2017
Las Vegas, NV USA
Last edited:
Feb 2019
Pennsylvania, US
Yes but that's not prescription per se. The MD cannot write an Rx for cocaine for a patient in the US AFAIK..
It looks like it is available in 1%, 4% and 10% solutions... how easy it would be to have a prescription written for you? Probably only a few conditions would merit it - corneal issues, like abrasions or cancer, which are exceptionally painful (the cornea has more nerve endings than anywhere else in your body, so the pain is going to feel excruciating).

I think the main ingredients in Ritalin are also considered schedule II, like cocaine. The medications for ADHD are considered addictive, since a lot of kids take prescribed meds to excess, or sell meds to friends for higher cognitive function (test prep and test taking), weight loss... it's also used as a party drug (like anything that produces norepinephrine and dopamine).

People with ADHD have trouble getting neuro transmitters to receive chemical “messages” - they recall too soon, release too little and essentially cut off the train of thought. These transmitters “read” chemicals like dopamine and norepinephrine, so upping the amounts tend to help neurons fully release messages, before the uptake. Certain amino acids like L-theanine (found in tea leaves... I take this for the “fog” I get with lupus) can also have a positive impact on ADHD from what I've read, but most opt for ritalin, in spite of its addictive qualities, because it makes a bigger impact, quickly.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Also, I want to get back to this topic--how much do you think that the US of 1890 is going to want to expand in the world of 1590? I mean, couldn't expanding the US even further and spreading Western civilization sound like an extremely great idea for the US?