The Vinca Culture of SE Europe

Port

Ad Honorem
Feb 2013
portland maine
I never heard of this before so most of this info is from a Google search & book “Europe before Rome” pages 143 - 145 It concerns the “Vinca Culture” which flourished from 5500 to 4000 BCE It was located around present Bosnia, Serbia, Yugoslavia There is a massive mound located at the confluence of three large rivers. That to me might mean it had a good size trading system since the waterways allowed travel into areas of Europe and East. The mound is about 3 stories high and covers an area of 25 acres. There has been extensive excavations of the site. The book has some pretty cool pictures The excavation revealed a village with fortified palisades, large square buildings consisting of large rooms and several smaller ones. The lanes between the buildings were straight. They found figurines of unusual shaped heads These figurines are the hallmark of the vinca culture.
There is a lot of info from the multiple sites that I left out.

The REAL "Old Europe" - the forgotten Vinca culture - Democratic Underground

chimera

Ad Honorem
Feb 2013
australia
"Some archaeologists would extend the time depth of PIE to the middle Neolithic (5500 to 4500 BCE) or even the early Neolithic (7500 to 5500 BCE), "
Very little can be defined about it , even its connection with west Europe.

Port

Ad Honorem
Feb 2013
portland maine
This is the culture which supposedly had some proto-writing, isn't it?
from what I read yes. I read the archeologist found tablets with inscriptions. it continued to say they had resemblance to Sumerian script. The are still unable to decipher. Examples that I saw consisted of straight lines some that intersect at different points, and "dots"

Sep 2012
Dalmatia Interior
You'll need proof of Bosnian pyramids there or it won't get off the ground.
And how are bosnian pyramids connected with Vinca culture? :)

Interesting thing:

During excavations in 1939, in Vinca, scientiests found fully preserved shoe, made of leather, in perfectly good condition. It survived because it was covered with river mud, which is known as the best natural conservator. It was the only such shoe found in Europe until that day, and it could answer many questions about techniques and ways of production of clothes and shoes in that age. However, soon after they took it out, it fell apart into pieces. I guess those were not experts archaeologists. :eek:

Sep 2012
Dalmatia Interior
Now, let me add some facts here:

The area of Vinca culture spread form rivers Usora and Bosnia in B&H, to river Tisa on the north, Skopje valley on the south and Sofia basin on the east, and it covers territories of entire Serbia, B&H, Macedonia, Romania, Bulgaria and parts of Hungary and Croatia. It is the area which produced oldest metal works in Europe., and until now the oldest metal finding is from locality Belovode in Eastern Serbia.

The predecessor of Vinca culture was culture of Starcevac. It was neolithical culture which covered areas of today's Serbia, Croatia and Hungary. The connection between two cultures is seen in the very territorial similarity, as well as in shape of the houses, ceramic styles and figurinas. However, some scientists consider that Vinca culture could have been born from migrations not from Starcevo culture.

The core area of Vinca culture is Central Balkans, and on its peak, this culture covered areas of Starcevo culture as well as teritorries in Bosnia, Romania and Macedonia.

The cultural layer of Vinca culture is 10,5 metres, and the periodization is as follows:

up to 8 metres --- Vinca A
8 - 6,5 metres --- Vinca B1
6 - 4,1 metres --- Vinca B2(phase of Gradac's)
4,1 metres --- Vinca C
3,48 metres --- Vinca D

Settlements

Neolithic settlement of Vinca is located some 14 km's from the mouth of rivers Sava and Danube, and in it's nearer area(today near Belgrade) is excavated 9 similar settlements with similar cultural layers. The Gradac stage(Vinca B2) represents transformation of settlements from fields and rivers to hills. The houses of Vinca culture are strikingly similar to houses of Lepenski Vir culture.

however, somewhere around 4500 B.C. Vinca settlements were abandoned just to be replaced by new settlements of new neolithic migrants.

One of the richest findings from vinca culture is "lady of Vinca" excavated in 1929, now in archaeological collection of Faculty of philosophy in Belgrade:

Also, Vinca culture gave us around 1000 of plates on still undeciphered language.

Literature:

Литература

М. Васић, Праисторијска Винча, 1-4, Београд, 1932 - 1936.
М. Гарашанин, Хронологија винчанске групе, Љубљана, 1951.
Д. Срејовић - Б. Јовановић, Оруђе и оружје од кости и накит из Винче, Старинар IX-X, 181-190. 1959.
Винча у праисторији и средњем веку, Каталог Галерије САНУ 50, Београд, 1984.
Д. Срејовић, Уметност и религија, Винча у праисторији и средњем веку, Београд, 1984, ст. 42-57.
Д. Антоновић, Предмети од глачаног камена из Винче, Београд, 1992.

Similar History Discussions