The War of 1812 lasts longer

Kevinmeath

Ad Honoris
May 2011
Navan, Ireland
I doubt it would much effect at all ( although not sure about in the West) -- the British continue to raid, the USN remains blockaded perhaps has some break out that have success which will be good for American moral and future propagandist historians but little actual effect on the war, they also of course have more reverses.

I am sure both sides will have their success and failures but the British did not wish to conquer the US. The Americans wwere not any where near achieving their war aims so why keep fighting?, perhaps Canada gets a bit bigger, would New England or bits of it join Canada? if they leave the Union and declare independence would that be allowed or would there the a first and second American Civil War?

Peace was desired by both sides--- look at the 'Pig War' both sides decided that it was in their best interests not to fight each other.

Kotromanic

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
Iowa USA
Why on earth try to subjugate America when the Indian population was so docile in this era?

Would have been madness, beyond any Georgian level of madness to attempt occupying the United States.

Kevinmeath

Ad Honoris
May 2011
Navan, Ireland
Why on earth try to subjugate America when the Indian population was so docile in this era?

Would have been madness, beyond any Georgian level of madness to attempt occupying the United States.
I beleive in the immediate aftermath of the war and for much of th19th century it was 'sold' in the USA as winning a second war of Independence.

But the British were never interested in this.

Kotromanic

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
Iowa USA
I beleive in the immediate aftermath of the war and for much of th19th century it was 'sold' in the USA as winning a second war of Independence.

Yes, but no offense intended towards Her Majesty's (Victoria) fighting men, the Second War of Independence rhetoric was intended to shame the Federalist Party, just usual partisan hogwash.

Reactions: Niobe

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal

Whoever sold it that way was probably selling snake oil, as I think that @Kotromanic would agree! :lol:

Feb 2019
Serbia
Nothing happens. New England might seccede and Britain will support them but that's about it. The British were not enthusiastic about launching an invasion and Wellington was not going to America as he thought that he was more needed in Europe and he refused to go beforehand. Otherwise the British just keep blockading the U.S. coast and launch raids to take coastal cities. Eventually, the war ends worse off for the U.S. in one way or another with New England possibly secceding.

Also, do you have some criteria by which you choose what people to invite to your threads?

Reactions: Futurist

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Nothing happens. New England might seccede and Britain will support them but that's about it. The British were not enthusiastic about launching an invasion and Wellington was not going to America as he thought that he was more needed in Europe and he refused to go beforehand. Otherwise the British just keep blockading the U.S. coast and launch raids to take coastal cities. Eventually, the war ends worse off for the U.S. in one way or another with New England possibly secceding.
Losing New England would be a pretty significant blow to the US, though.

Also, do you have some criteria by which you choose what people to invite to your threads?
I generally choose people whom I know have a detailed knowledge about the relevant topic. Of course, I made it crystal-clear that I'm inviting everyone to participate here since there are undoubtedly some knowledgeable people whom I forgot to explicitly list here, such as yourself.

Feb 2019
Serbia
Losing New England would be a pretty significant blow to the US, though.

I generally choose people whom I know have a detailed knowledge about the relevant topic. Of course, I made it crystal-clear that I'm inviting everyone to participate here since there are undoubtedly some knowledgeable people whom I forgot to explicitly list here, such as yourself.
Yes, it would, but militarily I don't see how the campaigning would change from what was already happening.

I ask because I often see you invite a few people but leave many out for certain topics and I end up wondering why that is.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Yes, it would, but militarily I don't see how the campaigning would change from what was already happening.
Fair enough, I suppose.

I ask because I often see you invite a few people but leave many out for certain topics and I end up wondering why that is.
Well, unfortunately it's not so easy for me to remember the names of everyone who comments on particular topics. :(

redcoat

Ad Honorem
Nov 2010
Stockport Cheshire UK
The British were not enthusiastic about launching an invasion and Wellington was not going to America as he thought that he was more needed in Europe and he refused to go beforehand.
Wellington did not refuse to go.
He wrote a letter to the PM detailing the vast amount of resources he thought was needed to decisively defeat the USA and his view that the conflict would not be worth the effort.
He also suggested that he might be of more value in Europe due to the threat of war breaking out between the former Allies, but that if ordered he would go to America and lead the campaign against the USA.