The War of 1812 lasts longer

Feb 2019
Pennsylvania, US
Britain was finished with Napoleon in 1815. So, if the war would have continued, Britain would have been able to send more of its forces to North America.

Contingency plans are often just that, though--just contingency plans.

Yeah, it's certainly an interesting scenario.

BTW, I really enjoy playing with toy soldiers in a figurative sense by trying to manipulate various alternate history events to see where exactly better outcomes can be produced. :)
I think it would require some time for the British to regroup and turn their full attention to America. It would be preferable to have had a chance to do this in advance of the Treaty, so you can get your hands dirty. The British tend to always write off their wars with the U.S. as a "secondary theater" (The Revolutionary War, War of 1812...). You'd want to give them time to focus on America a bit. ;) It would take anywhere from 6 to 14 weeks to cross the Atlantic, depending on weather - just that in an of itself takes time.

I must say, I often do enjoy a good speculative thread.

Reactions: Futurist
Feb 2019
Pennsylvania, US
What terms did they break?

As for impressment, I thought that it became a moot point after the end of the Napoleonic Wars in Europe since Britain no longer needed all of the manpower that it could get?
The Americans didn't follow many of the provisions for the Native Americans - the British wanted restored to them all the rights, privileges, possessions, etc. that they had before the war. The Americans basically saw the opportunity to take land to the Midwest and took it.

I personally would want some sort of mention of refraining from impressment on paper - the British Navy tended to be rather partial to press ganging. :lol:

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
The Americans didn't follow many of the provisions for the Native Americans - the British wanted restored to them all the rights, privileges, possessions, etc. that they had before the war. The Americans basically saw the opportunity to take land to the Midwest and took it.
I wonder if there was some sort of middle ground between these two positions. As in, was there a way for the Americans to expand into Native American land in the Midwest and elsewhere without dispossessing the Native Americans too much?

I personally would want some sort of mention of refraining from impressment on paper - the British Navy tended to be rather partial to press ganging. :lol:
Agreed. That said, though, the US was unfortunately unable to impose its own terms on the British in this war. TBH, though, I care much more about Canada than I care about impressment.

As a side note, I wonder if the US should have retaliated by impressing British sailors. Fair is fair, right?

Last edited:

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
I nearly tagged you in my first reply here, @Mastersonmcvoidson , seeing as you know the Napoleonic Wars better than just about anyone. I just didn't want to seem impertinent in case speculation wasn't something you enjoyed. đŸ˜•
Well, at least this question doesn't involve any Alien Space Bats! :lol:

redcoat

Ad Honorem
Nov 2010
Stockport Cheshire UK
I think it would require some time for the British to regroup and turn their full attention to America. It would be preferable to have had a chance to do this in advance of the Treaty, so you can get your hands dirty. The British tend to always write off their wars with the U.S. as a "secondary theater" (The Revolutionary War, War of 1812...). You'd want to give them time to focus on America a bit. ;) It would take anywhere from 6 to 14 weeks to cross the Atlantic, depending on weather - just that in an of itself takes time.
When fighting the French, all the other wars became "secondary theaters"

redcoat

Ad Honorem
Nov 2010
Stockport Cheshire UK
The alliances with the Native American tribes were an insurance policy against US aggression while Britain was at war with France, once the war with France ended so did the need to support the Native American tribes

The US did try in the post war years to get the British to renounce the practice, but the British refused to even discuss it.