The War of the Triple Alliance: Paraguay dreams of empire

SSDD

Ad Honorem
Aug 2014
India
Paraguay's goal was to have sea coast, I think for that purpose Lopez instead of attacking Brazil could have formed an alliance of 3 Spanish speaking Delta Countries(Argentina, Paraguay and Uruguay) against Portuguese speaking country Brazil, Brazil Argentina relation was not much good then. Otherwise Lopez had no option.

Last edited:

Tairusiano

Ad Honorem
Jun 2012
Brazil
Paraguay's goal was to have sea coast, I think for that purpose Lopez instead of attacking Brazil could have formed an alliance of 3 Spanish speaking Delta Countries(Argentina, Paraguay and Uruguay) against Portuguese speaking country Brazil, Brazil Argentina relation was not much good then. Otherwise Lopez had no option.
That is speculation still Lopez had no diplomatic capacity to achieve something like that, Lopez allie in Uruguay was the Blanco party who was enemie of Colorado Party that was allied to Brazil and Argentine secretly, Lopez thought the Argentine leader Urquiza would ally in the war to Paraguay and start a civil war in Argentina but Urquiza was in Brazil goverment paycheck
And about a sea coast try to conquer the south of Brazil was impractical, the only outlet to the sea that Paraguay could count was Uruguay, the problem was that Uruguay was also important for Brazil and Argentina, them we have three distinc countries in the same region with distinct interests and different policies.

Last edited:

Tairusiano

Ad Honorem
Jun 2012
Brazil
Had the legacy of the Jesuit state influence on Lopez ambitions?
This is dificult to say, but Europe had a great influence on Lopez, he was young, very optimistic, crazy and completely inconsequent, he travelled to europe and there he learned about the balance of power from the British, Prussian military structure, French cultural influence, his will was to apply this in Paraguay and south america, completely ignoring the interests of the South American nations and the peculiarities of the continent, and the capabilities of Paraguay.

the causes that lead to war was complex, and Lopez was not the ideal man to prevent war or command.

funakison

Ad Honorem
Oct 2012
Between a rock and a hard place
Did you know that over 70% of Paraguay's entire population was wiped out during the War of the Triple Alliance?

You probably can’t even place Paraguay on a map (its in the middle, next to Bolivia), but during the 1800s it was poised to become the most powerful country in South America. Today Paraguay is a weak, landlocked country, but in the 1860s it was a fledgling regional power with an industrialized, self-sufficient economy, protected by a powerful modernized military. Paraguay’s rapid industrialization and militarization frightened its neighbors who feared an upset in the balance of power on the continent.

The War of the Triple Alliance: Paraguay dreams of empire
Paraguay is a landlocked country and therin lies much of the reason for the war.

holoow

Ad Honorem
Jun 2012
Vilnius, Lithuania
This is dificult to say, but Europe had a great influence on Lopez, he was young, very optimistic, crazy and completely inconsequent, he travelled to europe and there he learned about the balance of power from the British, Prussian military structure, French cultural influence, his will was to apply this in Paraguay and south america, completely ignoring the interests of the South American nations and the peculiarities of the continent, and the capabilities of Paraguay.

the causes that lead to war was complex, and Lopez was not the ideal man to prevent war or command.
I meant: Weren't the Paraguayan elite brought up in some sort of messianity due to the existence of Jesuit state in Paraguay?

Tairusiano

Ad Honorem
Jun 2012
Brazil
I meant: Weren't the Paraguayan elite brought up in some sort of messianity due to the existence of Jesuit state in Paraguay?
I doubt never read nothing about that Solano Lopez father had even abolished the missions from paraguay to counter their influence, and about the paraguayan elites they were powerless, the true elite was Lopez and his family.

Jul 2017
Argentina
Hey Azons.
This thread you started is the firs place I've ever read of 18th century Paraguay as a project of empire.
For the time of the war, my country, Argentina, already owed lots of money to british banks, and the ruling class (after Rosas) was completely dedicated to continue that same project of economy. Probably Brazil had a similar situation.
Paraguay was a very bad example, as a Nation independent of british bankers or railroad builders.
It's been fairly called "guerra de la triple infamia".

Tairusiano

Ad Honorem
Jun 2012
Brazil
Anyone have a map of the territories Paraguay attempted to seize?
it is debatable if they tried to conquer these lands, but in the war they really invaded some territories the declaration of war against Brasil started with the invasion of the Brazilian Province of Matro Grosso, after that part of the Province of Rio Grande do Sul, and the Argentine Corrientes region,

The map is in Portuguese the max territory Paraguay invaded is the big purple Line.