The whole history of firearms

Apr 2017
Lemuria
Basically a mixture of saltpetre, sulphur and coal in a tube with one opening propelling some rock or piece of metal. It's actually pretty primitive. I can make a crude shotgun out of piss (yes piss I'm not kidding) literally in the wild provided I have a strong enough tube and sulphur (which is the hardest ingredient of the mix to get). Check the video below out

VHS

Ad Honorem
Dec 2015
Florania
Basically a mixture of saltpetre, sulphur and coal in a tube with one opening propelling some rock or piece of metal. It's actually pretty primitive. I can make a crude shotgun out of piss (yes piss I'm not kidding) literally in the wild provided I have a strong enough tube and sulphur (which is the hardest ingredient of the mix to get). Check the video below out

I recall that the hardest challenge for early firearms was the steel or brass of the barrel!

Apr 2017
Lemuria
I recall that the hardest challenge for early firearms was the steel or brass of the barrel!
Steel allows for light weight firearm with higher longevity but you can still make cannons out of bronze. They will just be heavier.

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
Gunner of the 14th century had a go at breech loading steel guns but gave it up as too difficult
bronze was way easier to cast ,
the technology of casting church bells was seamlessly adapted to make muzzle loading cannon
the better thermal conduction also was a bonus to keep the barrels from overheating

for handguns , because of their smaller size heating was less critical and a sheet of metal could be forged into a tube