The working man who fought communism

bartieboy

Ad Honorem
Dec 2010
The Netherlands
What was the motivation for the normal working man to fight communism?

After all, isn't communism a system that is above al beneficial to the working man?
I suppose the main reason is money but I have yet to hear of a well paid soldier fighting communism.

Oct 2012
Perhaps some people just had the foresight (and cynicism) to realize that it wouldn't be all that was advertised? That life may suck, it could be made a whole lot worse. The fact that such people have largely been proven right begs the question, why were there people so naive and foolish enough to believe it would actually work?

Well, that and religion. A religious person of any class wasn't likely to throw their lot in with a bunch of godless atheists.

Jul 2007
Canada
The working man in Russia rose up against the Bolsheviks not long after it was implemented, that was the Left Wing Uprising in Russia. They felt the revolution had been hijacked. It's not hard to see why when you consider that the communists butchered the sailors at Kronstadt (the same people who carried out the revolution and stormed the palace in the first place), neutered the workplace committees (called soviets) and made them subordinate to the Party (in defiance of Marxist theory), and implemented harsh quotas on workers - at one point, Lenin threatened to execute one in ten workers at the Pravda print factories because they were consistently below quota. Lenin was a lawyer from an aristocratic family who could dress like a worker but had very soft hands.

Just before his first arrest for distributing communist literature, he had returned to Russia from a lengthy stay at a Swiss health spa. His mom paid for it.

To quote John Lydon, "Ever get the feeling you've been cheated?"

bartieboy

Ad Honorem
Dec 2010
The Netherlands
Perhaps some people just had the foresight (and cynicism) to realize that it wouldn't be all that was advertised? That life may suck, it could be made a whole lot worse. The fact that such people have largely been proven right begs the question, why were there people so naive and foolish enough to believe it would actually work?

Well, that and religion. A religious person of any class wasn't likely to throw their lot in with a bunch of godless atheists.
You have a very strong point on religion but a weak one on foresight.. After all, history proves that there were plenty of people who did believe in it.
Naive and foolish enough? I think that when you are a hard working factory worker hearing of communism for the first time you might think 'well that sounds like a fair deal to me''....

bartieboy

Ad Honorem
Dec 2010
The Netherlands
The working man in Russia rose up against the Bolsheviks not long after it was implemented, that was the Left Wing Uprising in Russia. They felt the revolution had been hijacked. It's not hard to see why when you consider that the communists butchered the sailors at Kronstadt (the same people who carried out the revolution and stormed the palace in the first place), neutered the workplace committees (called soviets) and made them subordinate to the Party (in defiance of Marxist theory), and implemented harsh quotas on workers - at one point, Lenin threatened to execute one in ten workers at the Pravda print factories because they were consistently below quota. Lenin was a lawyer from an aristocratic family who could dress like a worker but had very soft hands.

Just before his first arrest for distributing communist literature, he had returned to Russia from a lengthy stay at a Swiss health spa. His mom paid for it.

To quote John Lydon, "Ever get the feeling you've been cheated?"
All true, but we are not just talking about Russia here.. How about the Spanish Civil war where men who had been conscripted under Franco had to fight anarchists, communists and republicans? What about Yugoslavia in the second world war where a large group of resistance fighters were pro monarchist?

Apr 2013
St. Augustine
I think in a prosperous country the working man does better under capitalism provided he benefits from a union. I can't speak for other countries but in the USA those working men who might've been drawn to communism were instead drawn to pragmatic "put it on the check" trade unionism. Guys like me.

The greatest benefit of communism was it's existence as an alternative system; it scared the bejesus out of businessmen and made them amenable to compromise with workers and government. Now that communism has collapsed big business has become increasingly arrogant and grasping and wants it all. Which may ironically lead to a resurgence in communism.

bartieboy

Ad Honorem
Dec 2010
The Netherlands
I think in a prosperous country the working man does better under capitalism provided he benefits from a union. I can't speak for other countries but in the USA those working men who might've been drawn to communism were instead drawn to pragmatic "put it on the check" trade unionism. Guys like me.

The greatest benefit of communism was it's existence as an alternative system; it scared the bejesus out of businessmen and made them amenable to compromise with workers and government. Now that communism has collapsed big business has become increasingly arrogant and grasping and wants it all. Which may ironically lead to a resurgence in communism.
Well I am not talking about supposedly communist states like the Soviet Union, I am talking about the communist ideal, the ideal that soldiers were fighting for.

Jul 2007
Canada
Well I am not talking about supposedly communist states like the Soviet Union, I am talking about the communist ideal, the ideal that soldiers were fighting for.
When did this ideal ever come close to manifesting? Certainly not in Catalonia! That ideal has never been fought against because it's never existed.

Port

Ad Honorem
Feb 2013
portland maine
I do not buy the idea that communism is better for the working man.
Religion is a factor as the church has been a strong opponent to communism
Loyalty lots of pressure of patriotism o this group. I beliebe the Upper sES does not have the same type of pressure
working 40 hours a week also makes on dream of the possibility of doing better. if not for them then for their children. communism does not offer that.