The World Marks 100th Anniversary of the End of WWI

Valens

Ad Honorem
Feb 2014
Colonia Valensiana
Macron and Merkel mark WWI armistice centenary
Over 80 leaders from countries across the world have gathered in Paris to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the armistice that ended World War I. Among world leaders, Putin, Trump, Macron, and Merkel were present among others. It is interesting to note that the situation today, in some ways, reminds of the world before WWI with the increasing differences between global powers and competition for the control of resources, but this time on European, but worldwide scale.

VHS

Ad Honorem
Dec 2015
Brassicaland
Considering the title of the Forum, I am surprised that nothing has been said about the most disastrous war in History!
The most disastrous war in history? Let's list a few other contestants:
World War II
Mongolian Conquest
Taiping Rebellion
An Lushan Rebellion
Huang Chao Rebellion

Militarily, the Pacific War was the largest conflict that involved China.
The other conflicts were militarily smaller; their damages on civilians might rival World War II.
How to rate the most disastrous war?

Oct 2016
Ashland
We'll watch All Quiet On the Western Front tonight.
May all the deluded European idiots (and those of their former colonies who allowed themselves to be dragged into the inane fracas) Rest In Peace. My paternal Grandfather's health was destroyed by his service, incl. the several disease epidemics that came in the wake of this silly, useless war. The 'statesman' of that period have a lot to answer for in Hell; in particular the Austrians, Serbs and Russians.
Oh well, it gave the French one last time to successfully defend Paris.

VHS

Ad Honorem
Dec 2015
Brassicaland
We'll watch All Quiet On the Western Front tonight.
May all the deluded European idiots (and those of their former colonies who allowed themselves to be dragged into the inane fracas) Rest In Peace. My paternal Grandfather's health was destroyed by his service, incl. the several disease epidemics that came in the wake of this silly, useless war. The 'statesman' of that period have a lot to answer for in Hell; in particular the Austrians, Serbs and Russians.
Oh well, it gave the French one last time to successfully defend Paris.
Pete Seeger's lyrics "When will we ever learn" has made a point.
Even World War II was a silly, useless war.

Valens

Ad Honorem
Feb 2014
Colonia Valensiana
It really cannot escape attention how Macron has used the ceremony as a mean to promote his multicultural, neoliberal political platform. The ceremony itself had little to do with history or honoring those who died in WWI. Overall a shame for France and its leadership.

Feb 2016
ROK
It really cannot escape attention how Macron has used the ceremony as a mean to promote his multicultural, neoliberal political platform. The ceremony itself had little to do with history or honoring those who died in WWI. Overall a shame for France and its leadership.
As someone who's originally from a multicultural city (New York City) multiculturalism doesn't bother me.
I took it as Macron's way of preventing hatred and extreme nationalism to prevent another World War.

Shtajerc

Ad Honorem
Jul 2014
Lower Styria, Slovenia
Ww1 was sort off forgotten here because you only needed to praise the partisans in post 1945 Yugoslavia. It is getting more attention now, which I apreciate. Pretty much everyone lost someone in the Great War. My great grandfather was wounded and captured on the Russian front, his brother fell there one year after that. It is often forgotten that not everyone was lucky to see a complete end of hostilities in 1918 as the war created such a mess with the fall of certain monarchies and empires. Fights in places liie Upper Silesia or Styria/Carinthia dragged on through 1919 or even later. I only wish that people would remember and respect the ones who died on all sides and not abuse the memmory for their own political games.