Theoretical "Star Wars": Did Admiral Zaarin cause the fall of the Galactic Empire?

May 2018
Michigan
I was recently re-playng the game TIE FIGHTER: DEFENDER OF THE EMPIRE, for the first time in almost 20 years. In spite of not having cared about Star Wars in about 20 years, I must say that the game's storyline still holds up. The writing staff did a great job of making the player not only enjoy being the Empire (it was the first Star Wars game where the player could be the Empire, as apposed to the Rebels), but still maintaining that the Empire was evil. In fact, it was seeing the Galactic Empire's point of view through the player missions (stopping bloody civil wars, stopping pirates and drug dealers...I mean 'smugglers') that really made the Star Wars universe diverse and interesting.

During one of the missions (Battle 8, Mission 6), the briefing officer makes it clear that Admiral Zaarin (a traitor to the Empire and former head of Imperial R&D) has destroyed "most of the Emperor's TIE Advanced and TIE Defender production capability." I found this statement shocking, and in the intervening 20 years where I have studied real wars (as opposed to Star Wars), realize that within the fiction of the Star Wars universe, this may have been key in the Empire's defeat at Endor. The TIE Defender, within Star Wars lore, is one of the most powerful starfighters ever produced. In fact, its in-game stats were so powerful, they had to remove the craft from subsequent games for game balance issues.

I can only imagine if the Empire had access to dozens or hundreds of TIE Advanced or TIE Defenders at Endor, the Imperial Starfleet may have prevailed in spite of the loss of the Death Star. If anyone here has a better grasp of Star Wars lore and understands military history, I'd welcome some comments on the idea.

Jul 2016
USA
The key to the defeat of the Empire was george lucas wanting them to lose, since they were the baddies.

That's it. The only reason. It was a movie written to entertain children. Stop reading into it like it's real life.

May 2018
Michigan
The key to the defeat of the Empire was george lucas wanting them to lose, since they were the baddies.

That's it. The only reason. It was a movie written to entertain children. Stop reading into it like it's real life.
I couldn't agree more. The sheer fanboy-ishness of Star Wars fandom has more lameness than the Napoleon and Alexander fanclubs combined. It's one of the reasons I lost interest in the franchise in the late 90s when the prequels hit the theater and people were camped outside for days just to get tickets.