Thesis on American-German relationships in post cold war period

Jun 2016
Europa
I want to know are there any english- or german language phd thesis on post-cold war era development of american-german relationships? Where to search for at least the abstracts or even topics of such thesis in Germany as well as in USA? Additionally I am interested could it be prospective topic and are there enough research on such bilateral relationships along with documents, declarations, statements, interviews to build the source basis of such dissertation?

Last edited:
Jun 2016
Europa
First of all I am interested to know where to seek german thesis in this field - as my german is at basic level for now (I am more familiar with American politics, indeed this topic should be in larger interest for german researchers)

Jul 2017
Germany
First of all I am interested to know where to seek german thesis in this field - as my german is at basic level for now (I am more familiar with American politics, indeed this topic should be in larger interest for german researchers)
I'm not sure if I understand your question correctly but if it's about where to look I assume a good starting point would be Deutsche Nationalbibliothek: Deutsche Nationalbibliothek - Home
Try looking for "Hochschulschriften" as that is how PhD thesis should be labeled.

Jun 2016
Europa
So I understand that I should look for state and university libraries. Is german national library central and universal resource to see? What about american phd thesis - its system is more decentralized - should it be the library of Congress?

Jul 2017
Germany
Is german national library central and universal resource to see?
To my knowledge, yes. Every publisher in Germany is obliged to send a copy of every book published to the national library; so in theory you should be able to find each and every title there. But some of my countrymen who have actually studied at a university may be able to tell you more and help you better.

Jun 2016
Europa
But it seems to be that Phd thesis is not certain book. So if you would say that every phd thesis is obliged to send to that library it would be more assuring. What alternative sources/databases you could suggest? For American thesis as well.

Jun 2016
Europa
As far as I tried to search there is a few or almost no doctoral or even master thesis relating the subject ... I tried to search in German National Library online catalogue, especially dissonline.de but with any result. Should, in that web page, I need type the search phrase in small left search field: [suchen in: Online-catalogue; suchtext:suchwort]? There is also info that I could use search field of main library catalogue with some options that would enable to search just in dissertation catalogue. As I know german at very basic level, should I understood correctly that I need to type [Suchwort AND ...=nss] or so? I also found comprehensive bibliography (about 1.5 thousands page, as far as I remember): German Amerikana:1956-2005 . Does it means that all available and known resources included there?

Last edited:

deaf tuner

Ad Honoris
Oct 2013
Europix
As far as I tried to search there is a few or almost no doctoral or even master thesis relating the subject ... I tried to search in German National Library online catalogue, especially dissonline.de but with any result. Should, in that web page, I need type the search phrase in small left search field: [suchen in: Online-catalogue; suchtext:suchwort]? There is also info that I could use search field of main library catalogue with some options that would enable to search just in dissertation catalogue. As I know german at very basic level, should I understood correctly that I need to type [Suchwort AND ...=nss] or so? I also found comprehensive bibliography (about 1.5 thousands page, as far as I remember): German Amerikana:1956-2005 . Does it means that all available and known resources included there?
Maybe this PDF can help You on how to search on the DNB:

http://www.dnb.de/SharedDocs/Downloads/DE/DNB/netzpub/anleitungSucheDissertationen.pdf?__blob=publicationFile

Jun 2016
Europa
Thank you for the link for advanced search on dnb.de with option of hochschulscriben. Indeed there are a few results on the topic. For instance when search [germany and usa] I got about 50-60 results. Just 5 results with simple 'amerikanische' and about a half of hundred results for the very 'deusche' search keywords. Is the DNB complete and exhaustive source for phd thesis in the internet at least? What is other alternatives? In aforementioned findings there were enough links for online version of dissertation and enough for diplom.de resource. But it just gives predominantly the master arbeit results and for the price as well (Is there such practice to sell master works in Germany?). And the search results are also hardly touched my outlined topic. Even about the most debated topic - Usa and german collision on Iraq invasion there is almost nothing.