Thessalians- the northernmost greeks

Sep 2019
Vergina
Why not the Chalcidians, Macedonians, Byzantium? Maybe also Odrysian and Cimmerian-Bosporus?

Regardless, Thessalians were great cavalrymen who served Philip and Alexander well. They always seem to have been held back by internal divisions. The most prominent Thessalian that comes to mind is Jason of Pherae, a very interesting figure.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tulius
Aug 2019
North
Why not the Chalcidians, Macedonians, Byzantium? Maybe also Odrysian and Cimmerian-Bosporus?

Regardless, Thessalians were great cavalrymen who served Philip and Alexander well. They always seem to have been held back by internal divisions. The most prominent Thessalian that comes to mind is Jason of Pherae, a very interesting figure.
The chalcidians, byzantium, odrysian and cimmerian-bosporus were all colonies. I want to know more about the non-colony northernmost greeks- the thessalians.

You say they were great cavalrymen. Were they better then the macedonian ones?

Last edited:

Dan Howard

Ad Honorem
Aug 2014
Australia
The chalcidians, byzantium, odrysian and cimmerian-bosporus were all colonies. I want to know more about the non-colony northernmost greeks- the thessalians.

You say they were great cavalrymen. Were they better then the macedonian ones?
The Macedonians modelled their cavalry on the Thessalians.

Aug 2019
North
The Macedonians modelled their cavalry on the Thessalians.
Partially or as a whole? Why would they have done that? The thracians had better horses hence presumably better cavalry. And, if macedonians were indeed greek, why model their own cavalry, why not just use the thessalian one.

Last edited:
Sep 2017
United States
All I really know of them is that their cavalry was quite renowned; as previously mentioned, the Macedonians both used actual Thessalians and modeled their own cavalry after them. If I remember right, the Thessalians either introduced or were primary users of the rhomboid/diamond formation. I think earlier Thessalian cavalry relied on javelins more heavily, but their more famous equipment was a lance (xyston)?

In the other thread, talking about the renowned horsemen of Thrace, the Thessalians were the first riders that came to mind.

Have a personal gripe with these guys anyway. I don't know how many times in TW these guys have delivered decisive rear charges to the rear of my line of legionaries. And considering I've taken on an army of horse archers, combined with reinforcing chariots and armored elephants, with primarily infantry I don't consider myself poor at anti-mounted tactics!

As for culture, such as their art, architecture, societal norms, and so on, I really have no idea.

Sep 2017
United States
Whose cavalry was the better one, the thessalians' or the thracians'?
That's really hard to say, since there is so many factors that go into a comparison like that. I think generally the Thracians were a lighter cavalry.

But, I think the Thessalians were (and are) more famous, and in Alexander's army at least played a more decisive role. The Thracian cavalry guarded the Thessalian left flank, but didn't play any huge parts as far as I can tell. So, if I was an ancient commander and I had a choice between the two, I'd probably go with the Thessalians.