Thessalians- the northernmost greeks

Feb 2019
Thrace
@Ken12 Buddy, always ask yourself when you're involved in heated debates, "am I emotionally attached to my point of view and maybe (just maybe) I'm not giving enough credit to counter arguments pouring against it?"

We surely agree that's not a healthy way to discuss when seeking truth and not blind-confirmation. Just take a 5 minutes break and see if you sincerely believe you're following that approach!

Aug 2019
North
I think pretty much all would agree that you aren’t making sense.
Sharing religion is not a full proof indicator of cultural ancestry.
When two people groups are in contact, they are bound to share ideas and take ideas.
However, macedonians, paeonians, and thracians didn't worship a god upon which their life depended. They worshipped a god of merriness, of unity. Carthage and magna graecia on the other hand worshipped a goddess of grain, of life. It had nothing to do with unity, because both carthage and ancient greeks were newcomers to sicily. They both worshipped a common goddess out of common interest.

Jan 2016
Collapsed wave
However, macedonians, paeonians, and thracians didn't worship a god upon which their life depended. They worshipped a god of merriness, of unity. Carthage and magna graecia on the other hand worshipped a goddess of grain, of life. It had nothing to do with unity, because both carthage and ancient greeks were newcomers to sicily. They both worshipped a common goddess out of common interest.

According to Herodotus:

The gods which they worship are but three, Mars, Bacchus, and Dian. Their kings, however, unlike the rest of the citizens, worship Mercury more than any other god, always swearing by his name, and declaring that they are themselves sprung from him.
They are listed with the roman names for some reason.
Mars/Ares is the god of war.
Mercury/Hermes is the god of trade.

Bacchus is the roman name of Dyonisus. Nobody mentions Leivinos. Where is this name coming from?

Edit:
Ah here is a better translation:

They worship no gods but Ares, Dionysus, and Artemis.2 Their princes, however, unlike the rest of their countrymen, worship Hermes above all gods and swear only by him, claiming him for their ancestor. 8.

Last edited:
Jan 2016
Collapsed wave
See thread: Who are Thracians, Post #6
You mean this?

“According to Heschiyus, he was named Λειβηνος/Leivinos in ancient Macedonian”
Who is Heschiyus?

Edit:
The closest person may be this one:

But I never found anything about him mentioning Leivinos. Except that same probably fabricated picture from facebook. Care to provide a source?

and for that matter what is "Ancient Macedonian language"?

Last edited:
Aug 2019
North
You mean this?

Who is Heschiyus?

Edit:
The closest person may be this one:

But I never found anything about him mentioning Leivinos. Except that same probably fabricated picture from facebook. Care to provide a source?

and for that matter what is "Ancient Macedonian language"?
The picture's not fabricated. Paste it here for everyone to see it and judge the credibility of it for themselves. Don't use wikipedia as reference or source.

Last edited: