Things that you dislike about your country

Jan 2013
Charlottengrad
Right, "the essential" - because once you proved that I am "an alt-right sympathizer" (Oh the horror!!! :eek::eek::eek:) you don't have to engage with my arguments anymore.

I think you are being either quite naïve and uninformed or quite arrogant and disingenous.
Thanks for the personal attack. Very classy.

No, not because you think that I want to frame you as "an alt-right sympathizer". But rather because it shows how fundamental different our views are - which is totally okay btw. - and that we would never come to an agreement but instead would continue to move in circles. My time is too precious for that. And yours should be too.

Is the Southern Poverty Law centre a disinterested party? What percentage of the half of the American population that votes for the republicans would think that they are, do you think?

Also, the fact that the Japan Times points out that one service provider bans Breitbart doesn't really prove anything. Obviously Breitbart is provocative, yes. Tell me, have you been on Breitbart? I have - was quite regularly for a time. Do you know that they have a section called "Breitbart Jerusalem" - quite interesting for a supposedly "Alt-Right" magazine don't you think?

You can consider them part of some nebulous "Alt Right" all you want, but saying that their editorial line is somehow the same as what Richard Spencer believes (which is essentially what you are doing when you use the term Alt-Right) is just plain wrong. I think the editor of Breitbart's European section "Breitbart London" is James Delingpole, who also writes for the British Spectator. Is the Spectator also an Alt-Right platform? Is anyone to the right politically of Angela Merkel who you disagree with part of the Alt-Right?
I never said I consider them part of the "alt-right" btw. I said far right. There is a difference. "Alt-Right" is practically Neo-Nazi. Breitbart is not that. However, it is just one step away from them with their hype of xenophobia, nativism and hate speech.

Apr 2018
Upland, Sweden
Thanks for the personal attack. Very classy.

No, not because you think that I want to frame you as "an alt-right sympathizer". But rather because it shows how fundamental different our views are - which is totally okay btw. - and that we would never come to an agreement but instead would continue to move in circles. My time is too precious for that. And yours should be too.
Your way of arguing seemed suspicious. From my perspective you seemed to post something in which you claim that "the essential is right there" in which you only make a comment on the most peripheral part of my argument, while claiming that your post was too long (why not just divide it?). But no matter, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt then, despite the fact that you started questioning my take on my own country's politics, seemed to insinuate that I fabricated incidents etc. and not the other way around: I agree our views might be too divergent for us to reach common ground, and I am okay with that as well.

I never said I consider them part of the "alt-right" btw. I said far right. There is a difference. "Alt-Right" is practically Neo-Nazi. Breitbart is not that. However, it is just one step away from them with their hype of xenophobia, nativism and hate speech.
I'm not interested in the whole "I said you said he said" game - let's just agree to disagree. Obviously I do not agree with your deduction that it is "just one step away" [insert hyperbole here], and once again - I am fine with that. What I objected to was you packaging your convictions as objective truth, and expecting me to treat them as if they were.

But absolutely, let's agree to disagree. This particular conversation is over, I am sure we'll meet again!

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Right, "the essential" - because once you proved that I am "an alt-right sympathizer" (Oh the horror!!! :eek::eek::eek:) you don't have to engage with my arguments anymore.

I think you are being either quite naïve and uninformed or quite arrogant and disingenous.

Is the Southern Poverty Law centre a disinterested party? What percentage of the half of the American population that votes for the republicans would think that they are, do you think?

Also, the fact that the Japan Times points out that one service provider bans Breitbart doesn't really prove anything. Obviously Breitbart is provocative, yes. Tell me, have you been on Breitbart? I have - was quite regularly for a time. Do you know that they have a section called "Breitbart Jerusalem" - quite interesting for a supposedly "Alt-Right" magazine don't you think?

You can consider them part of some nebulous "Alt Right" all you want, but saying that their editorial line is somehow the same as what Richard Spencer believes (which is essentially what you are doing when you use the term Alt-Right) is just plain wrong. I think the editor of Breitbart's European section "Breitbart London" is James Delingpole, who also writes for the British Spectator. Is the Spectator also an Alt-Right platform? Is anyone to the right politically of Angela Merkel who you disagree with part of the Alt-Right?
IMHO, the SPLC is a bit too cavalier with its hatemonger designations. I mean, it labelled Ayaan Hirsi Ali and Maajid Nawaz as anti-Islamic extremists while also labeling people such as Arthur Jensen, Charles Murray, and Linda Gottfredson as extremists. The former two people are Islamic reform advocates while the latter three people expressed support for the hereditarian hypothesis.

Oct 2013
Monza, Italy
United States of America:

-a system which is too brutally harsh toward those "losers" who don't fit in the American dream
-some/many jingoistic clowns who pretend American to be the greatest country ever "blessed here and there" and can't find China or Japan on the map. Actually the problem is that these people vote.

Italy:

-organized crime
-a system which is too much harsh against those who would like to live the "Italian dream"

Historically, every nation has its criminal record.

royal744

Ad Honorem
Jul 2013
San Antonio, Tx
During the “privatization craze” of a few years ago, various private utilities tried to buy our city’s public power company. San Antonio has a very successful and quite substantial public utility plant. These jackasses came out of Houston and attempted to browbeat the city nto selling. We showed them where the door is and kicked them through it.

royal744

Ad Honorem
Jul 2013
San Antonio, Tx
Health Insurance Industry. Don't provide a market service, yet they make affording medical care even for the upper middle class without them almost impossible(save an employer plan which seems to be like serfdom, work or you die) while at the same time trying to provide as little care as humanely possible to those they do cover, whether it be through denieng claims or insane deductibles and copays to people already struggling to pay premiums.
Overall, the American healthcare system is rather poor while our medical technology is quite good. Health insurance for working people in this country is usually through one’s employer and while this can sometimes be quite good, it can also be practically non-existent depending on one’s employer. This is wrong in so many ways when what is really needed is government supplied/furnished health care.

I’m retired. I have found that health insurance for retired people through Medicare is quite good, but to make it even better, one needs to have supplemental insurance to take are of the 20% that Medicare does not cover. I have both, so in general, my healthcare costs are well under control. Since the condition of my health for a person well past retirement age is not exactly improving with time, I expect that the cost of my healthcare will do nothing other than become more and more expensive. The drug/pharmaceutical industry is a national scandal. They have been robbing the American people blind for a century or more. Drug prices in this country are a form of “organized theft”. The same drugs that cost a great deal a in this country are for sale in other countries (and by the same manufacturer) at a fraction of the price we pay. These people should be lined up against a wall and...

Oct 2018
Adelaide south Australia
During the “privatization craze” of a few years ago, various private utilities tried to buy our city’s public power company. San Antonio has a very successful and quite substantial public utility plant. These jackasses came out of Houston and attempted to browbeat the city nto selling. We showed them where the door is and kicked them through it.

Over a period of years, our conservative governments have privatised various utilities; Water and Sewerage, Power and Tele communications., Postal services,(partly)---The most immediate changes in each was an increase in price.

These are the same genus of idiot which also dug up our extensive tram (street car)network in the 60's. Recent governments have begun to restore those services, at an eye watering cost. At the current rate, it shouldn't take more than another 25-40 years.

Governments everywhere seem to forget one simple fact:The utilities do not belong to them, and the money they spend is not theirs; it's all OURS.

I've mentioned before that Aussies tend to have a 'healthy contempt' for politicians as a species. The above is a small a part of the reasons.

Jun 2017
Connecticut
Overall, the American healthcare system is rather poor while our medical technology is quite good. Health insurance for working people in this country is usually through one’s employer and while this can sometimes be quite good, it can also be practically non-existent depending on one’s employer. This is wrong in so many ways when what is really needed is government supplied/furnished health care.

I’m retired. I have found that health insurance for retired people through Medicare is quite good, but to make it even better, one needs to have supplemental insurance to take are of the 20% that Medicare does not cover. I have both, so in general, my healthcare costs are well under control. Since the condition of my health for a person well past retirement age is not exactly improving with time, I expect that the cost of my healthcare will do nothing other than become more and more expensive. The drug/pharmaceutical industry is a national scandal. They have been robbing the American people blind for a century or more. Drug prices in this country are a form of “organized theft”. The same drugs that cost a great deal a in this country are for sale in other countries (and by the same manufacturer) at a fraction of the price we pay. These people should be lined up against a wall and...
It's a disgrace. Insurance companies lobbied to make sure they still get something from the old people. Don't worry my career goal is to put all of these people in prison and honestly more importantly have them recognized as the cold blooded killers they are rather than businesspeople!

Drugs I'm a little more mixed on because drug companies do provide an actual service an important one at that that does save lives. The key is making sure a certain amount of that money goes to R and D rather than profit. We do have a system that restricts the drug companies in many ways but encourages price gouging by limiting the amount of time a company can make money off of a drug(without a generic on the market), which of course is little consolation to the people hurt or killed in the interim. It's a tidy line to draw because on one hand we want the generics faster because they are cheaper on the other hand we need to get those prices down at all times. Drug importation and the industry's concerns over safety is what I consider to be the real BS cause mass importation is a good fix. Thing is unlike the insurance companies which are just glorified slaughter houses we actually need drug companies to develop drugs so we can't eliminate them in the way we can the insurers. While think single payer is a quick fix for the simple matter of paying for stuff, drug policy I've found to be much less simplistic given they aren't a fake industry.