Things that you dislike about your country

Shtajerc

Ad Honorem
Jul 2014
Lower Styria, Slovenia
? ? ?

And I, that I could not stop myself in saying every 10 km "Damn, the quality of these roads ... why in Slovenia is possible while ... ... ... "
The grass is always greener elsewhere, my friend. ;) I was amazed when I saw the Belgian highway with all its candelabres! (It is also true that I encountered one of the most terrible roads so far near Passchendaele, but it really was in the middle of nowhere). If I remember correctly where you were, then I can blaim nature. Water and landslides regularly cause damage to the roads in that part of Slovenia, which forces the municipalities and the government to repair things or build new ones. I guarantee you the right lane in tunnels on the highway and rurals roads in the East, South and Carinthia can be as terrible as it gets. But the important thing is that you had a nice experience.

Oct 2018
Adelaide south Australia
? ? ?

And I, that I could not stop myself in saying every 10 km "Damn, the quality of these roads ... why in Slovenia is possible while ... ... ... "

Australia is vast country, with only around 24 million people, 80% of us live in coastal cities. That means the roads away from our cities are always a problem.

I've done a lot of driving all around the country. Our suburban and main interstate roads are OK. it's the small country roads off the main grid which can be difficult.

Belgarion

Ad Honorem
Jul 2011
Australia
I don't know about the NHS, but we have a similar system to the NHS here in Sweden (although since two decades there is no longer a state monopoly on health care, and private actors are allowed). Our problem is that we have a government sponsored policy of "equal right to treatment", which means that the ability of doctors and hospitals to prioritize between different kinds of diseases becomes circumscribed. We sometimes have absurd waiting lists, but in the big cities the system worked reasonably well until 2015 (also related to the problem I mentioned in my post of "things I dislike about my country"). All that being said, I am not really convinced that your system is "far better than can be found almost anywhere else" - see the graph down below. The Netherlands have a very good and efficient system from what I hear, without having 45% tax rates like we do...

A "positive" aspect of the American system is that you guys essentially invest in R&D for the rest of the Western world. Your cost overheads - you spend almost twice as much as a percentage of GDP on healthcare as we do, despite the fact that much of your underclass seems to be uninsured and many who have insurance seem not to be guaranteed treatment beyond a certain point - is that much of it seems to go to research and development. Perhaps your system is necessary, and we are really parasites pretending to be more morally enlightened? I am not convinced in this particlar regard, but I think Joel Mokyr published a paper making such a case, to quite good effect.............
NordicDemosthenes, I am Australian, not American. The Medicare I am talking about is the Australian national health system.

Reactions: bboomer
Oct 2018
Adelaide south Australia
"NordicDemosthenes, I am Australian, not American. The Medicare I am talking about is the Australian national health system."

Just so.

Our medicare It is an excellent system,, which meets my needs. Not at all interested in a dick swinging exercise about comparisons.

JoanOfArc007

Ad Honorem
Dec 2015
USA
Far to many fast food restaurants in The USA.

Unhealthy eating is a widespread issue in the USA. And in this tech age its all to often "easy" for folks to hit the McDonalds Drive and spend 10-15 USD only to still be hungry and then sick after one eats...as opposed to going to the Supermarket and getting 10 beef patties and a few sides for less then the price of the McDonald's meal.

Fast food ought be more healthy in the USA...and there has been some advance in this category for example Panera Bread does offer quick food service and they have healthy options(bad options as well with some of there sweets but its seemingly a much better choice compared to McDonald's)

JoanOfArc007

Ad Honorem
Dec 2015
USA
Police Brutality towards all races
Insanely left-wing media
Rampant discrimination against men
As an American I politely disagree with all of your points.

More then the above and even more then unhealthy fast foods...the greatest challenge facing the USA is to bring back the jobs we used to have. In Buffalo NY for example we used to offer 100,000 Steel and Auto Jobs. Including 15k jobs From Ford, 20k jobs From Republic Steel, 20K jobs from Bethlehem Steel, 15K jobs from GM to just name some of the companies. Today those same jobs # below 2000. Bethlehem Steel, one of the proudest sights in Buffalo history which contributed greatly to winning the Allies WW2 is now gone.

Look at the 16:00 mark of the above video...that was when our country had honor and dignity...by God what an era that was in 1940s America when the entire world was at risk because of the Third Reich..it was Americans of all backgrounds that worked the factory jobs and contributed to the war effort. Did you know before the rise of MLK Jr, That American Steel and Auto companies provided great jobs to Americans of all backgrounds going back to the 1920s. MLK Jr was of course a great man as well..he advanced civil rights more for Black Americans.