Things that you dislike about your country

Dec 2018
Cheyenne
I dont like the every man for himself wild wild west when it comes to social and economic issues alot of Americans still subscribe to.

Except, of course when it comes to military or political endeavors then its rah rah be an American and never criticize America.

Traveling abroad really opened my eyes to the communal "we are all in this together so let's give our bit so everyone can prosper" thinking ulin alot of western countries that America lost somewhere along the way.

Feb 2019
California
Until yesterday I didn't like our parliament, thinking that the Italian parliament is the most ridiculous one around ... after a series of useless and meaningless votes in the parliament in London, I'm beginning to doubt that we've got the worse parliament ever.

In any case, I don't like how our parliament works [overall because of the double passage].

What happened yesterday?

Dec 2015
USA
Well here in New York State apparently there is a move to totally ban plastic bags

This move is actually not the way forward because it’s going to affect many hard-working middle-class people involved in the plastic industry. Grocery stores don’t like this move either they have noted that going from plastic to paper won’t make much of an eco difference In fact it cost less fuel for the grocery companies to receive plastic bags in the trucks compared to receiving paper bags in the trucks.

I also vehemently disagree with how our government today bans smoking at privately owned restaurants. We already have the gas from cars, we already have high processed sugar foods. I think it’s a beautiful sight to see someone having a nice cigarette at a diner with some coffee after a nice dinner. People need to be able to make the choice with regards to what they put in their body. And if the non-smokers want to talk about secondhand smoke we have similar issues with the fumes that come from cars and other similar issues. If Folks don’t like smoking in public, then why not just ban all automobiles why not ban all planes for the effect they have on our person and our planet

People are too timid today in United States. I remember being in Las Vegas at The Orleans over at the bar right by the poker room havin a political discussion with a guy we disagreed vehemently but we had a good discussion. There was some timid onlooker who was apparently taken back by the words we were using, and a very freedom that we were enjoying by being able to freely express our views and that is the American spirt

That’s another issue in America today that is the threat to freedom wrt preventing free speech on college campuse. That said I always have hope and I feel the spirit of FDR will come back and this country will be beautiful and we will right the wrongs

Last edited:
Dec 2015
USA
To the point about free speech on College Campuses or Universites.

A few years back I went to the Univeristy of Buffalo to attend a speaking event of Robert Spencer from SIOA(Stop "Islamization" of America) Mr Spencer is an anti Muslim and he was invited to UB by some young conservative group. So I went to the event ready to watch and listen, and then ask a question/make some comments in the Q and A. The event did not happen though as it was suppose to because Mr Spencer was utterly shouted down. And I felt to myself what losers and bullies these are that are shutting down free speech..the much better approach is to show your opponent in debate how they are wrong and do so in a polite manner. Because the moment when someone gets immature and uses insults they lose all credibility. The personal insults, and the language against Mr Spencer was so childish that Spencer had to leave the Campus.

I later communicated with Mr Spencer via email, I told Mr Spencer while I disagree with you Im sorry you were forced out of The University of Buffalo. We went back and fourth with messages and although I was unable to get Spencer to change his views it was a productive conversation that UB did not allow to happen at its own Campus.

So point is that free speech has to be honored at College Campuses.

Sep 2015
England

A few years back I went to the Univeristy of Buffalo to attend a speaking event of Robert Spencer from SIOA(Stop "Islamization" of America) Mr Spencer is an anti Muslim and he was invited to UB by some young conservative group. So I went to the event ready to watch and listen, and then ask a question/make some comments in the Q and A. The event did not happen though as it was suppose to because Mr Spencer was utterly shouted down. And I felt to myself what losers and bullies these are that are shutting down free speech..the much better approach is to show your opponent in debate how they are wrong and do so in a polite manner. Because the moment when someone gets immature and uses insults they lose all credibility. The personal insults, and the language against Mr Spencer was so childish that Spencer had to leave the Campus.

I later communicated with Mr Spencer via email, I told Mr Spencer while I disagree with you Im sorry you were forced out of The University of Buffalo. We went back and fourth with messages and although I was unable to get Spencer to change his views it was a productive conversation that UB did not allow to happen at its own Campus.

I've seen this sort of thing on YouTube. But I'm not convinced it is immature, or childish. I think it's more like ideology. What ideology is the thing obviously, sooner or later.

Political corruption, though this seems to be getting better.

Not a monarchy, however our republican leaders seem to be better than the current candidates for a king.

The Kosovo situation, since 2008 and earlier there have been tensions and with the increased provocations and clashes from 2018, reaching a new height with the recent trade restrictions. Every time these events are misunderstood by the people and cause hysteria and fear of a war that will hardly come. This also creates high social and political issues.

Revanchism due to the wars in the 90s, causing higher nationalism and a distatse for everything NATO or western. Sometimes it reaches straight up Chauvinism in some extreme cases with a downright hatred towards nations such as the UK and the USA.

This has another effect of Russophilia, we share a lot of our history with Russia and have a historical friendship but sometimes it reaches unreasonably high levels where Russia and Putin as an individual are viewed as some saviours that will always help us and can never do wrong to anyone.

Misinformation among the people. This exists everywhere but in our case there are people who believe that we live in a dictatorship or that all people who support the government are bribed or under threat, on another side of this there are completely opposite opinions of us constantly being targeted by external forces that wish to destroy us with a believe that everything wrong in our country, particularly our rather corrupt and borderline insane political opposition, is financed and supported by the UK and the USA.

Our ingratitude, this also echoes through history. Whenever someone invests in our economy and helps us we expect more than we were given. In history this shows in the case such as WW1. As the Entente hesitated to send an evacuation force to our army in Albania and were thinking of what to do our army struggled, out of supply and under pressure from the advancing Central Powers. The Entente, mostly Italy, sent ships in the end and evacuated the army. Many see the hesitation of the Entente as a betrayal, forgetting that they, France in particular had many fronts to juggle and an equally bloody and terrible war to fight which had its own challenges and the rest of the Entente had their own problems.

Dec 2018
Cheyenne

Richard Spencer is a white supremacist. Like asking a jew to debate a nazi not to exterminate him.

Similar History Discussions