Things that you dislike about your country

Feb 2014
Miami
Two party system which oppresses other minor parties. If a minor party even gained enough traction for election, the electorate college will ignore the people vote, and use their votes for the two main parties

Aug 2010
Welsh Marches
That the UK parliament has been able not to find an agreement about Brexit after a dozen of votes. I wonder if this shouldn't enter the Guinness of Records. The most ineffective and inefficient parliament ever ...
No, it's not so much the fault of the parliament as of the Prime Minister and those who still support her in the government. Altogether a strange situation because four-fifths of MPs don't support the result of the referendum, the PM negotiated an agreement almost on her own with her civil servants without seeking to establish a prior consensus even within her own govenrment and party about the right way to approach the matter, and came back with an agreement that MPs inevitably rejected without being able to accept on the other hand that the UK should leave without any agreement (which is in fact the most likely outcome now). This is the kind of thing that comes about when a second-rater is promoted to position lying beyond her capacity, something which in turn came about as a result of an unpredicatble concatenation of cirumstances.

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
that the UK should leave without any agreement (which is in fact the most likely outcome now).
If only that were true. I'm afraid that MPs will want to go for a "confirmatory referendum", which is basically an excuse to stop Brexit without saying so. May has made a total pig's ear of the whole negotiation, but right now, for the first time, the country actually needs her to be stubborn and stick to a no-deal Brexit if and when the deal doesn'r get through. The most ridiculous thing is that Parliament stopped the government from spending money on no-deal preparations, while everyone else has made preparations.

To bring it back to the OP, I reckon this is an artifact of the adversarial nature of our parliamentary system. It is almost never in the interests of the Opposition to vote for anything the government orioises, even if they agree with it, or are proposing something almost identical.

AlpinLuke

Ad Honoris
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
No, it's not so much the fault of the parliament as of the Prime Minister and those who still support her in the government. Altogether a strange situation because four-fifths of MPs don't support the result of the referendum, the PM negotiated an agreement almost on her own with her civil servants without seeking to establish a prior consensus even within her own govenrment and party about the right way to approach the matter, and came back with an agreement that MPs inevitably rejected without being able to accept on the other hand that the UK should leave without any agreement (which is in fact the most likely outcome now). This is the kind of thing that comes about when a second-rater is promoted to position lying beyond her capacity, something which in turn came about as a result of an unpredicatble concatenation of cirumstances.
Just a brief comment [and the digression ends here], I could underline that while UK is a country [with all the political and institutional processes which this means] EU is a Union based on an international treaty. Political parties and governments of EU countries can do a very little about what the Commission does in case of a member leaving the Union. It's ruled by the EU treaty. End of history. On EU side it's not a political matter, but a mere technical matter, while on UK side how to leave EU is a preeminent political matter.

AlpinLuke

Ad Honoris
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
Anyway, to go back to the OP ... an other thing I don't like of Italy is ... our National Anthem. At least that "as slave of Rome" should be changed. Someone sustains that "victory" is slave of Rome in the Anthem, but honestly it's clear that Italy is slave of Rome. This doesn't sound nice.

Dec 2018
Cheyenne
Richard Spencer and Robert Spencer are different people , something that self-righteous people who make kneejerk reactions on the internet all too often fail to realize. It sometimes helps to stop and think.
My mistake, my mind read Richard and immediately associated because Richard too is banned from speaking at many universities. I apologize to the poster above.

Similar History Discussions