This year is 400th year since the first Africans arrived as slaves in America

Mar 2012
???This comment is confusing, are you implying that the Africans brought to America were slaves for 3,600 yrs in Africa? Do you have any evidence to back up such a claim? I mean we have evidence of Elites who were not slaves being caught up in the trade.

Do people seriously think this?

"This year is 400th year since the first Africans arrived as slaves in America"

And the 4,000th year of Africans being slaves.

Mar 2012
Exactly, how absurd to think Slavery was only applied to Africans, heck Europeans and Asians suffered slavery for years up until the Modern era.
Such silly ideologies abound when it comes to Africans...smh.
Oh, slavery is a millenary institution, with much more than 4000 years, for Africans and for no-Africans.

The slavery seen by a colour skin difference, that begun in the 15th and 16th centuries, a few more than 400 years ago.

Code Blue

Ad Honorem
Feb 2015
Caribbean
This is an idea popular with many whites - that America's ugly experience with racism is in the past.
I wonder what data and analysis preceded that opinion. It is contrary to my lifelong experience, whether it is TV panel shows, news reports, Presidential candidates, Congressional floor speeches, and now YouTubes of campus discussions attacking speakers like Dinesh D'Souza - that the US as an ugly racist country is not only a predominant topic, but pushing the idea borders on outright obsession. Where would I go to hear what you call the "popular" idea in a forum that demonstrates your demographic quantification?

Mar 2012
Well the people who came in 1619 were indentured servants. Bacon's Rebellion pretty much solidified perpetual Slavery for Africans in Law, prior to that Africans and European Indentured Servants had similar social standing, and even intermarried. Further the French and Spanish had colonies with African and Creole, Mulatto/Zambo peoples.

That text is talking about slaves, not indentured servants. It is also curious how the names of the Portuguese ships end so often in Spanish.

Code Blue

Ad Honorem
Feb 2015
Caribbean
???This comment is confusing, are you implying that the Africans brought to America were slaves for 3,600 yrs in Africa?
No, I don't think average longevity is 4,000 years. And generally, I state rather than imply. So, I should state that all "races" have been slaves for all of recorded history.

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
Well the people who came in 1619 were indentured servants. Bacon's Rebellion pretty much solidified perpetual Slavery for Africans in Law, prior to that Africans and European Indentured Servants had similar social standing, and even intermarried. Further the French and Spanish had colonies with African and Creole, Mulatto/Zambo peoples.
You are a saying that those persons that were Portuguese slaves, changed status when they changed to an English ship, and they were unaware of it, since their condition didn’t change much?

No, I don't think average longevity is 4,000 years. And generally, I state rather than imply. So, I should state that all "races" have been slaves for all of recorded history.
So basically you are stating that slavery 4000 years ago had nothing to do with “races”, this last word with or without comas?

Code Blue

Ad Honorem
Feb 2015
Caribbean
So basically you are stating that slavery 4000 years ago had nothing to do with “races”, this last word with or without comas?
Twice in these same post, you tell other posters what they are saying. Do you like straw man fallacies? Why don't you ask people what they are saying if you don't understand, rather than affirmatively taking steps to misrepresent someone's post?

IMO, legal slavery always had a lot to do with "race," though the concept was more narrow than in its current usage, in which different tribes are seen by most as part of the same race.

martin76

Ad Honorem
Dec 2014
Spain
Oh, slavery is a millenary institution, with much more than 4000 years, for Africans and for no-Africans.

The slavery seen by a colour skin difference, that begun in the 15th and 16th centuries, a few more than 400 years ago.

I agree dear Tulius.. the institution is very old and not matched to colour... I think around 5.000 years...and it´s been used in every latitude.

by other side.. it is absolutly FALSE to say the first black slaves in North America arrived to Virginia.... so easy.

martin76

Ad Honorem
Dec 2014
Spain
Twice in these same post, you tell other posters what they are saying. Do you like straw man fallacies? Why don't you ask people what they are saying if you don't understand, rather than affirmatively taking steps to misrepresent someone's post?

IMO, legal slavery always had a lot to do with "race," though the concept was more narrow than in its current usage, in which different tribes are seen by most as part of the same race.
there was the Slavery caused by debts...and it was a slavery between same "race" and the same "tribe" people... for example in Athens.

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
Apparently you missed that in the post that you are quoting I made two questions.

In the question addressed to you, I wrote the interpretation that I made of your words, and asked you if my interpretation was correct or not, allowing you to agree or disagree and explain why.

Besides, I didn’t made an argument, I made a question, since a straw man fallacy is an argument, I don’t know I could I have made a straw man fallacy. Making questions in an exchange of ideas is a good way to understand better the other person.

Maybe you in an emotive response didn’t saw the question or you are a bit confused of what a straw man fallacy is. If I misunderstood your words, you just have to say that my understanding was incorrect and try to correct it. The aggressiveness that you showed was not necessary. Thank you.

Thanks for this part. I think that I begin to understand better your idea. Anyway, after what I read previously, I am not that curious to read more abut it.

I agree dear Tulius.. the institution is very old and not matched to colour... I think around 5.000 years...and it´s been used in every latitude.

by other side.. it is absolutly FALSE to say the first black slaves in North America arrived to Virginia.... so easy.
Exactly. The slavery existed in America before the arrival of the Spanish. For instance, the Caribs maid raids to gather Taíno slaves, just like the Vikings in Europe. And the Spanish brought slaves to North America long before 1619.