This year is 400th year since the first Africans arrived as slaves in America

Code Blue

Ad Honorem
Feb 2015
Caribbean
Apparently you missed that in the post that you are quoting I made two questions.
Quite the opposite, since the response refers directly to both. Notice the words "twice in the same post."

Besides, I didn’t made an argument, I made a question, since a straw man fallacy is an argument, I don’t know I could I have made a straw man fallacy.
Maybe it is just a matter of opinion. In mine, your opening "So basically you are saying" is not interrogatory, but declarative.

Maybe you in an emotive response
And maybe the reverse is true. But then, why speculate on matters of non substance.

Last edited:

Code Blue

Ad Honorem
Feb 2015
Caribbean
there was the Slavery caused by debts...and it was a slavery between same "race" and the same "tribe" people... for example in Athens.
The statement to which you respond said that slavery has had "a lot" to do with race, not 100% due to race. What is the point of citing an exception that my post did not rule out?

Aug 2014
U.S.
The statement to which you respond said that slavery has had "a lot" to do with race, not 100% due to race. What is the point of citing an exception that my post did not rule out?
Slavery only appears to be about race, in the eyes of modern day Westerners. Really it was about the exploitation of weaker peoples by stronger peoples.

Dr. Thomas Sowell addresses the history of slavery around the globe in several of his books. He shows, very convincingly I think, that the groups who get enslaved are always quite simply those who are vulnerable.

The word for slave derives from the word for Slav not just in English but in several other European languages, because Slavs and other eastern Europeans were enslaved so widely for so many centuries. The reason was not their ethnicity, but their political, military, technological and economic weakness. The Slavs tended to live in geographically isolated valleys without access to navigable rivers or deep water ports, so access to new technologies was limited and the formation of large empires that could sustain large standing armies for mutual defense was difficult to impossible. Foreigners raided poorly defended small Slavic villages and hauled the people away in chains. The reason non-Slavs did this to Slavs was quite simply that they could.

Similarly the geography of sub-Saharan Africa created small, isolated tribes with little access to new technologies, and poor defensive capabilities. For many centuries before whites ever discovered the Americas black Africans were being captured and hauled away as slaves, often by Arabs; not because they were black, but because they were vulnerable.

Meanwhile within Africa stronger tribes enslaved the members of weaker tribes, either for use locally or for sale to Arabs and Europeans. Similarly strong empires in the Americas enslaved members of weaker tribes.

The Africans who were taken to the Americas as slaves in the 17th etc. centuries were black because that happened to be their ethnicity. The reason they were enslaved in the first place is that they were vulnerable.

Code Blue

Ad Honorem
Feb 2015
Caribbean
Meanwhile within Africa stronger tribes enslaved the members of weaker tribes, either for use locally or for sale to Arabs and Europeans. Similarly strong empires in the Americas enslaved members of weaker tribes.
I thought I covered that.

Post 27
"IMO, legal slavery always had a lot to do with "race," though the concept was more narrow than in its current usage, in which different tribes are seen by most as part of the same race."