This year is 500th year since Hernán Cortés landing on Mexico

Jan 2018
Sturgeon Lake Mn.
Has anyone ever made a good movie about Cortes? There's definitely an Oscar to be won for playing him.
Cesar Romero did an excellent Cortes in the late 1940s Fox picture The Captain from Castile, starring Tyrone Power. Unfortunately the picture ends when the Spanish reach the Valley of Mexico.

Zanuck gave the pictue the full boat--his biggest star, Henry King to direct, glorious Techniolor and location shooting in Mexico with shots of the smoking volcano Paracutin.

I made the screen shots from the DVD but I now have a much better HD copy of the movie from ITunes.
1576E69F-B059-4DF3-B9FF-C2F8C36317CD.jpeg 3E8708C2-ED92-473C-974C-AB7C72F8B417.jpeg E7F41EE4-17A2-4711-954E-966F741B185A.jpeg

Frank81

Ad Honorem
Feb 2010
Canary Islands-Spain
Cesar Romero did an excellent Cortes in the late 1940s Fox picture The Captain from Castile, starring Tyrone Power. Unfortunately the picture ends when the Spanish reach the Valley of Mexico.

Zanuck gave the pictue the full boat--his biggest star, Henry King to direct, glorious Techniolor and location shooting in Mexico with shots of the smoking volcano Paracutin.

I made the screen shots from the DVD but I now have a much better HD copy of the movie from ITunes.
View attachment 22888
Wow! I think that's Paricutín in a real eruption

martin76

Ad Honorem
Dec 2014
Spain
a priori opinion (so prejudice and I hope wrong) .. Spielberg is filming Hernán Cortes ... I imagine it will be terrible with history ... they will put Cortes as a "imperialist" as USA in Soviet propaganda during cold war style and the Aztec cannibals as a poor and harmless Indian fooled by the wicked Spaniard....

Jan 2018
Sturgeon Lake Mn.
a priori opinion (so prejudice and I hope wrong) .. Spielberg is filming Hernán Cortes ... I imagine it will be terrible with history ... they will put Cortes as a "imperialist" as USA in Soviet propaganda during cold war style and the Aztec cannibals as a poor and harmless Indian fooled by the wicked Spaniard....
I doubt it; if nothing else Spielberg knows that wouldn't be as good a story as sticking closer to the truth. And the man is one Hell of a story teller.

John Milius wrote a Cortes script, if that's being used expect Cortes to be heroic, shrewd and ruthless.

martin76

Ad Honorem
Dec 2014
Spain
I doubt it; if nothing else Spielberg knows that wouldn't be as good a story as sticking closer to the truth. And the man is one Hell of a story teller.

John Milius wrote a Cortes script, if that's being used expect Cortes to be heroic, shrewd and ruthless.

I agree.. Spielberg is a genius... I love movies as Jaws or Duel (1971)...he is a great director and a story-teller as you well say.... But I think History is not good for a movie...Saving private Ryan was great... but it was too much spectacular... but... real life is not so "spectacular" as a movie..

macon

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
Slovenia, EU
Cortés is a good example that a man is a product of his circunstances

In the Mesoamerican environment, he became a kind of Alexander the Great, a demigod ready to perform astounding feats. When, later in the 1540's, he participated in the Mediterranean campaigns of Charles V against the Islamic powers, a truely formidable enemy, the man became a mere soldier with no remarkable achievements
Was he given command of Spanish troops?

martin76

Ad Honorem
Dec 2014
Spain
Was he given command of Spanish troops?
No..Cortes never had the supreme command of Spanish troops. In 1541. Cortes was 56 yo... not a young in 16th Century. And the failure mainly was due to adverse weather conditions... not because Cortes made something wrong. But it was a hard defeat.