Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself - copy/paste from LXX?

May 2011
Rural Australia
To what extent has the NT aphorism (some refer to it as a commandment) "Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself "
been "copy/pasted" from the Greek LXX (Leviticus 19:18) into the mouth of Jesus?

Great Commandment - Wikipedia

The Great Commandment (or Greatest Commandment)[1] is a name used in the New Testament to describe the first of two commandments cited by Jesus in Matthew 22:35–40and Mark 12:28–34. These two commandments are paraphrases taken from the Old Testament and are commonly seen as important to Jewish and Christian ethics.

In Mark, when asked "which is the great commandment in the law?", the Greek New Testament reports that Jesus answered, "Hear, O Israel! The Lord our God, The Lord is One; Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind",[2] before also referring to a second commandment, "Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself."[3] Most Christian denominations consider these two commandments to be the core of correct Christian lifestyle.[4]

Last edited:
May 2018
Houston, TX
I think Jesus often quoted, referred to, interpreted, or alluded to what we call the Old Testament on many occasions. Another example: "It is written," he said to them, "'My house will be called a house of prayer, (but you are making it 'a den of robbers.)'" Matthew 21:13, referring to Isaiah 56:7:
"Even those I will bring to My holy mountain
And make them joyful in My house of prayer.
Their burnt offerings and their sacrifices will be acceptable on My altar;
For My house will be called a house of prayer for all the peoples.”

tomar

Ad Honoris
Jan 2011
Golden Rule - Wikipedia

The idea dates at least to the early Confucian times (551–479 BC) according to Rushworth Kidder, who identifies that this concept appears prominently in Buddhism, Christianity, Hinduism, Judaism, Taoism, Zoroastrianism, and "the rest of the world's major religions".[3] The concept of the Rule is codified in the Code of Hammurabistele and tablets, 1754-1790 BC. 143 leaders encompassing the world's major faiths endorsed the Golden Rule as part of the 1993 "Declaration Toward a Global Ethic", including the Baha'i Faith, Brahmanism, Brahma Kumaris, Buddhism, Christianity, Hinduism, Indigenous, Interfaith, Islam, Jainism, Judaism, Native American, Neo-Pagan, Sikhism, Taoism, Theosophist, Unitarian Universalist and Zoroastrian.[4][5] According to Greg M. Epstein, " 'do unto others' ... is a concept that essentially no religion misses entirely," but belief in God is not necessary to endorse it.[6] Simon Blackburn also states that the Golden Rule can be "found in some form in almost every ethical tradition".[7]