Thoughts on Hinduism Treatment of all Living Things?

JoanOfArc007

Ad Honorem
Dec 2015
USA
I have here some of the teachings from Hindus,

"He who does not seek to cause the sufferings of bonds and death to living creatures, (but) desires the good of all (beings), obtains endless bliss. He who does not injure any (creature) attains without an effort what he thinks of, what he undertakes, and what he fixes his mind on." (Manu-samhita 5.46-47)

"By not killing any living being, one becomes fit for salvation." (Manu-samhita 6.60)

"Deer, camel, donkey, monkey, rats, creeping animals, birds and flies - one should consider them like one's own children, and not differentiate between one's children and these creatures." (Bhagavata Purana 7.14.9)

I wanted to ask folks what they feel about how Hinduism treats all living things? Would for example most Hindus agree on the teachings above? I understand India is home to at least half a billion vegetarians I wonder what they feel of this subject.

As an outsider if you will as a Catholic...I can not help but admire these teachings of Hinduism to respect all Living things...its certainly something I have failed on because I have killed insects for example. So for the Hindus whom do believe that even killing insects is wrong and yet they may kill an insect at some point...Is there a Hindu prayer to atone for such an action? Perhaps Hinduism is saying one should catch the insect and try and let it free, toss it out the window?

How many Hindus exist in this world that have never harmed even an insect is what I wonder?

Nov 2016
Germany
How many Hindus exist in this world that have never harmed even an insect is what I wonder?
The official Indian statistics on vegetarianism are exaggerated, there are far fewer Hindus who do without meat.

One should not, however, overestimate this commendable ethics in India. India is a country where serious human rights violations are commonplace. Many women are raped and disabled women are treated worse than animals. Even widow burns still take place and have many spectators.

For women, India is the most dangerous country in the world because of the numerous rapes every day.

This is all a catastrophe that is far from being outweighed by an externally acquired vegetarianism.

Demonstrations against rapes:

1575082544447.png

1575082556711.png

1575082579030.png

1575082607037.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Menshevik

specul8

Ad Honorem
Oct 2016
Australia
I have here some of the teachings from Hindus,

"He who does not seek to cause the sufferings of bonds and death to living creatures, (but) desires the good of all (beings), obtains endless bliss. He who does not injure any (creature) attains without an effort what he thinks of, what he undertakes, and what he fixes his mind on." (Manu-samhita 5.46-47)

"By not killing any living being, one becomes fit for salvation." (Manu-samhita 6.60)

"Deer, camel, donkey, monkey, rats, creeping animals, birds and flies - one should consider them like one's own children, and not differentiate between one's children and these creatures." (Bhagavata Purana 7.14.9)

I wanted to ask folks what they feel about how Hinduism treats all living things? Would for example most Hindus agree on the teachings above? I understand India is home to at least half a billion vegetarians I wonder what they feel of this subject.

As an outsider if you will as a Catholic...I can not help but admire these teachings of Hinduism to respect all Living things...its certainly something I have failed on because I have killed insects for example. So for the Hindus whom do believe that even killing insects is wrong and yet they may kill an insect at some point...Is there a Hindu prayer to atone for such an action? Perhaps Hinduism is saying one should catch the insect and try and let it free, toss it out the window?

Many Hindus would regard that as going to far . Some of those that want to go that far;

1575082881919.png

Jain monks wear mesh over their faces to avoid inhaling insects and carry soft brooms to sweep their paths clear of any creatures to avoid stepping on them.

Attachments

JoanOfArc007

Ad Honorem
Dec 2015
USA
The official Indian statistics on vegetarianism are exaggerated, there are far fewer Hindus who do without meat.

One should not, however, overestimate this commendable ethics in India. India is a country where serious human rights violations are commonplace. Many women are raped and disabled women are treated worse than animals. Even widow burns still take place and have many spectators.

For women, India is the most dangerous country in the world because of the numerous rapes every day.

This is all a catastrophe that is far from being outweighed by an externally acquired vegetarianism.

View attachment 25098

View attachment 25099

View attachment 25100

View attachment 25101
Well partner I feel That would be more your opinion of the government of India in the modern times as opposed to the history of Hindus. Ok to each their own on that one. I made this thread because I have specific questions and one is how many Hindus in this world have never killed an insect? And I would of course imagine the Hindus who would not harm an insect would never fathom harming a human being. So to that point if you or anybody can bring forth some numbers with regards to Hindus in the modern times that do not even harm insects that would be much appreciated.

Interesting so you’re saying that there may be more than half 1 billion vegetarians in India?

Hinduism is said to be the oldest religion in the world where as the modern state of India is Some 75 years old or so. Respect to you I did not mention the word India in this thread and I was hoping to discuss Hinduism in this thread. As this is the religious section of the board. Edit sorry I did once mention The word India Because I was trying to figure out how many vegetarians exist in India. I could’ve just as easily said how many Hindu vegetarians exist in this world

Last edited:
Reactions: Bharata

JoanOfArc007

Ad Honorem
Dec 2015
USA
In addition does anyone here know of a Hindu prayer or hym if you will That one can use to atone if they feel they have wronged an animal?

Devdas

Ad Honorem
Apr 2015
India

View attachment 25098

View attachment 25099

View attachment 25100

View attachment 25101
There is certainly a problem with women safety in India but statistically, there are lots of countries in the West in Europe and Americas that are worse. India has a population of 1.3 billion people. So, kindly don't turn into India bashing campaign.

kandal

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
USA
Hinduism is generally not considered as compassionate to all living things, compared to Jainism or Buddhism. Hinduism does not even treat all humans equally with its caste system. It is mostly cattle that are protected from any harm, because cows are considered sacred.

Widespread observance of vegetarianism among Hindus has a lot to do with pollution taboos associated with following the caste system, since contact with meat of any kind makes one unclean.

JoanOfArc007

Ad Honorem
Dec 2015
USA
Hinduism is generally not considered as compassionate to all living things, compared to Jainism or Buddhism. Hinduism does not even treat all humans equally with its caste system. It is mostly cattle that are protected from any harm, because cows are considered sacred.

Widespread observance of vegetarianism among Hindus has a lot to do with pollution taboos associated with following the caste system, since contact with meat of any kind makes one unclean.
hello do you know of any Hindu prayers that a Hindu uses if he or she feels they have harmed an animal and they want to atone?

I am just blown away by Hindus in this world who will not even harm an insect. That is as peaceful as one can be. I have heard in India there are shrines where people will not harm insects is that true?

JoanOfArc007

Ad Honorem
Dec 2015
USA
Updated 1229 GMT (2029 HKT) November 30, 2019
With great respect I would kindly ask to please post that information in a different thread. I have sincere questions about Hinduism as this thread is about Hinduism not the modern states of the world. Though I very much want to get information on how modern day Hindus view vegetarianism. I have a number of questions about Hindus and Hinduism that I am hoping to get answered here, thank you and I hope you have a good day