Thoughts on Hinduism Treatment of all Living Things?

Nov 2016
Germany
The body teachings in Kundalini Yoga postulate a multitude of levels on which the material exists in different complexity (bodies).

Plants comprise the gross, pranic and astral level (bodies). Animals may additionally have a rudimentary mental body. Humans comprise all levels (bodies).

The levels in detail:

gross

ethereal (pranic)

astral

mental

causal

All these levels are interlaced like Russian dolls. The degree of fineness of the material increases with each level by a (provisionally said) billionfold. Each physical atom floats in a sea of ethereal atoms. Each ethereal atom floats in a sea of astral atoms. Each astral atom swims in a sea of mental atoms etc.

The biological body of man corresponds to the physical (gross) level. The etheric, surrounding (and penetrating) body serves to absorb the higher energies from the astral, mental, etc. body. The astral body is the body that surrounds it and penetrates it to connect the higher energies from the astral, mental, etc. plane to it, and passes away when the astral body separates from the physical body after biological death. The astral body has an independent being, also detached from the body, and is essentially the seat of emotions, i.e. the emotional world, of passions. It is constantly embedded in the higher bodies, the mental and the causal. The surrounding (and penetrating) mental body is the body with which man thinks.

The causal body corresponds to the cosmic consciousness. The mind recognizes that it is in everything, it penetrates everything that exists on all levels. It is the unity in diversity (atman = brahman).

Reactions: hansolo

JoanOfArc007

Ad Honorem
Dec 2015
USA
There is no uniform standard dietary restrictions that Hindus follow, the only common being that vast majority of Hindus will avoid beef. However there can be different dietary restrictions based on different sects/castes. In my case for instance, I come from a Vishnav family and belong to Pushtimarg sect (Am from Rajasthan), and we happen to be strict Vegetarians. In my house even onions are usually not kept and our dietary pattern is quite similar to Jains, but this is not necessarily the case with even other Vaishnav sects let alone other Hindu sects.
That is interesting when you say strict vegetarian would you say you follow a vegan diet ? How do Hindus view Tofu for example ?

What do you feel about the Hindu teachings shown in the original post which suggests that no living thing animal insect included should be harmed? Does your sect of Hinduism say to avoid harming even insects?

Christianity Has numerous denomination such as Catholics , Protestants, Lutherans , Mormons, Baptists, and such... To be honest I haven’t heard of Hinduism being broken down into sects, other then Vaishnav how many sects of Hinduism would you say exist ?

Jun 2017
usa
The body teachings in Kundalini Yoga postulate a multitude of levels on which the material exists in different complexity (bodies).

Plants comprise the gross, pranic and astral level (bodies). Animals may additionally have a rudimentary mental body. Humans comprise all levels (bodies).

The levels in detail:

gross

ethereal (pranic)

astral

mental

causal

All these levels are interlaced like Russian dolls. The degree of fineness of the material increases with each level by a (provisionally said) billionfold. Each physical atom floats in a sea of ethereal atoms. Each ethereal atom floats in a sea of astral atoms. Each astral atom swims in a sea of mental atoms etc.

The biological body of man corresponds to the physical (gross) level. The etheric, surrounding (and penetrating) body serves to absorb the higher energies from the astral, mental, etc. body. The astral body is the body that surrounds it and penetrates it to connect the higher energies from the astral, mental, etc. plane to it, and passes away when the astral body separates from the physical body after biological death. The astral body has an independent being, also detached from the body, and is essentially the seat of emotions, i.e. the emotional world, of passions. It is constantly embedded in the higher bodies, the mental and the causal. The surrounding (and penetrating) mental body is the body with which man thinks.

The causal body corresponds to the cosmic consciousness. The mind recognizes that it is in everything, it penetrates everything that exists on all levels. It is the unity in diversity (atman = brahman).

I know exactly what you are talking about. The Sanskrit words for all the above "sheaths" are even more meaningful and beautiful IMO.
However, I still disagree with your stance that Advaita is atheistic unless atheists believe there is an Ultimate Supreme, The Nirgun Parabrahm, which every living thing is a part of.

Whether you agree with me or not, Advaita is an integral part of Hinduism. One does not have to be Hindu to follow this philosophy but you cannot take Hinduism and the connection to the divine out of it. Just like Yoga.

Jun 2017
usa
I'm not sure what you mean. Is that meant to be generalizing or do you want to say that in Hinduism there is amongst other things also this concept?
Yes, there is a concept of "Isht Devatha", personal deity. Every individual can worship the Higher Power/God in whatever form he or she wants and imagines. This does not mean they consider the other Gods not worthy of respect because we understand that all the Gods are just a manifestation of the Ultimate Brahman. This actually is also one of the major concepts of Hinduism.
Some people feel a connection to Shiva, some to Krishna, some to Shakthi(the Divine Feminine), I know people who have a picture of Jesus Christ in their home temple and all these are accepted.
In the same family you will have different family members worshipping different Deities with absolutely no conflict.

JoanOfArc007

Ad Honorem
Dec 2015
USA
Sadhguru is good and I recommend him highly. He is a mystic.
Sarvapriyanand is a Hindu monk and explains the Vedanta philosophy beautifully, clearly and easy to understand manner.
Sounds good, I will be looking into some of the videos by Sarvapriyanand very soon

VHS

Ad Honorem
Dec 2015
Florania
There is certainly a problem with women safety in India but statistically, there are lots of countries in the West in Europe and Americas that are worse. India has a population of 1.3 billion people. So, kindly don't turn into India bashing campaign.
Steven Pinker argues with statistics that the world is in fact much safer than 50 years ago. How accurate is he?
Let's talk about average Canadian cities; are they safer today than a generation ago?