Thoughts on Hinduism Treatment of all Living Things?

Feb 2019
Mumbai
That is interesting when you say strict vegetarian would you say you follow a vegan diet ? How do Hindus view Tofu for example ?

What do you feel about the Hindu teachings shown in the original post which suggests that no living thing animal insect included should be harmed? Does your sect of Hinduism say to avoid harming even insects?

Christianity Has numerous denomination such as Catholics , Protestants, Lutherans , Mormons, Baptists, and such... To be honest I haven’t heard of Hinduism being broken down into sects, other then Vaishnav how many sects of Hinduism would you say exist ?
Consumption of diary is not prohibited and we consume diary based products in large quantities, so we are definitely not vegan.

As for bolded part, we were taught that we must respect all nature, and must not kill any living being unless there is some purpose to it. I was not really bought up very religiously and I myself am not particularly religious (though we still follow several customs based on religion). So not sure I can answer it as well as someone who is more orthodox would.

The three major 'sects' (if you could call them that) in Hinduism would be Vaishnavism, Shaivaism & Shaktiism. Vaishnavs primarily worship Vishnu or his avatars (Rama & Krishna), Shaivites primarily worship Shiva & Shakti worshippers primarily worship Durga/Kali.

Feb 2019
Mumbai
Steven Pinker argues with statistics that the world is in fact much safer than 50 years ago. How accurate is he?
Let's talk about average Canadian cities; are they safer today than a generation ago?
Well he's not wrong, world in general is a far better place today than it was event 20 years ago let alone 50. There is more awareness today and media circus is far more prevalent, hence we buy into the illusion that everything is falling apart. Even in terms of broad safety, we are better off today than we were at any time in history. The only exception to this seems to be Latin America.

Reactions: Arminius

VHS

Ad Honorem
Dec 2015
Florania
Well he's not wrong, world in general is a far better place today than it was event 20 years ago let alone 50. There is more awareness today and media circus is far more prevalent, hence we buy into the illusion that everything is falling apart. Even in terms of broad safety, we are better off today than we were at any time in history. The only exception to this seems to be Latin America.
Why do many people enjoy glorifying the past?
In my own Canadian community, many people think it was so tranquil and safe a generation ago, and many people feel it is worse today.

Feb 2019
Mumbai
Why do many people enjoy glorifying the past?
In my own Canadian community, many people think it was so tranquil and safe a generation ago, and many people feel it is worse today.
Nostalgia is powerful. Also we tend to be very naive and aloof as children, we are far less aware of our surroundings and we are generally shielded from adult situations in our childhood and hence only remember the good things. Overall crime has gone down in most of the world.

Devdas

Ad Honorem
Apr 2015
India
That is interesting when you say strict vegetarian would you say you follow a vegan diet ? How do Hindus view Tofu for example ?

What do you feel about the Hindu teachings shown in the original post which suggests that no living thing animal insect included should be harmed? Does your sect of Hinduism say to avoid harming even insects?

Christianity Has numerous denomination such as Catholics , Protestants, Lutherans , Mormons, Baptists, and such... To be honest I haven’t heard of Hinduism being broken down into sects, other then Vaishnav how many sects of Hinduism would you say exist ?
Vegetarian means not eating any kind of meat, strict vegetarian (Niramish) means not eating meat, onion and garlic. Ancients didnot know plants are too a living thing, milk, tofu, yoghurt all will be a vegan dish.

Sect in Hinduism is a matter of belief as conflicting religious views including atheism are tolerated in Hinduism. Infact, there are lots of modern generation Hindus who consider themselves as atheist but still endorse to Hindu identity.

Reactions: Futurist

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Vegetarian means not eating any kind of meat, strict vegetarian (Niramish) means not eating meat, onion and garlic. Ancients didnot know plants are too a living thing, milk, tofu, yoghurt all will be a vegan dish.

Sect in Hinduism is a matter of belief as conflicting religious views including atheism are tolerated in Hinduism. Infact, there are lots of modern generation Hindus who consider themselves as atheist but still endorse to Hindu identity.
What's the issue with onion and garlic?

The three major 'sects' (if you could call them that) in Hinduism would be Vaishnavism, Shaivaism & Shaktiism. Vaishnavs primarily worship Vishnu or his avatars (Rama & Krishna), Shaivites primarily worship Shiva & Shakti worshippers primarily worship Durga/Kali.
What about the other Hindu gods, such as Ganesha? Who worships those? All of these Hindu 'sects'?