Thoughts on the idea of open borders?

Status
Closed

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
BTW, Naomasa, do you think that US Gentiles Whites underperform relative to US Asians and US Jews due to environmental factors? As in, do you think that, given enough opportunities, US Gentile Whites should perform at a level comparable to that of US Asians and US Jews? Serious question, FTR.
I have no idea.

Reactions: Futurist
Jan 2017
UK
BTW, I genuinely am curious about this--if anyone here knows of some way that we could have a completely meritocratic system with all groups performing equally (relative to their share of the total population), I'm all ears. If anyone knows of such a system, please let me know. It would certainly be interesting to see a test with good predictive validity (in regards to college success, job success, et cetera) where blacks and Hispanics are not going to be severely underrepresented among the people who are going to do extremely well on this test.

Also, for what it's worth, this pattern is also visible in the UK:

Minorities\' Cognitive Performance In The UK

As you can see, different groups in the UK perform differently (on average, of course). Why exactly do you think this is?
Income levels and willingness to study hard are extra factors which aren't down to genetics. Willingness to study could be interpreted as cultural factor, though within each ethnic group there's a large variance in that.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Income levels and willingness to study hard are extra factors which aren't down to genetics. Willingness to study could be interpreted as cultural factor, though within each ethnic group there's a large variance in that.
Blacks in extremely high-income families only perform as well on the SAT on average as poor Whites do, though. As for a lack of motivation, are you suggesting that Blacks are, on average, less motivated than Whites or Asians are? If so, the data doesn't actually appear to confirm this:

The ‘attitude-achievement paradox’ – Clear Language, Clear Mind

Rather, it looks like blacks are highly motivated but still perform poorly on average. :(

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
I have no idea.
OK.

It would certainly be interesting to find this out since if we could raise white and Asian average IQs or, even better yet, all groups' average IQs to the level of US Jews (~110), then we are going to get much, much more geniuses and also a much smarter society which will result in much more prosperity, technological innovation, et cetera. :)

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
For what it's worth, I do think that income redistribution is a good idea. I just don't think that people should automatically expect this to perform miracles.

deaf tuner

Ad Honoris
Oct 2013
Europix
What was your point here?
That we are talking about genius, which is a combination of innate capacities, social and cultural environment (from family all the way to the state) and simple chance.

To have a genius, you have to have the combination of all factors.

... then we are going to get much, much more geniuses ...
Never.

Roughly, human population is composed of 80% average/"normal" people, 10% of "under-gifted" and 10% of "over-gifted". (Choose Your domain: maths, music, football).

Genius is an extremely low percentage of the "over-gifted".

Nomater how much You raise the level, the percentages will not change.

All You can do is to try to find and not let waste the potentially geniuses. But even if You find them, it's not sure You will achieve it: the person mighy simply hate maths and prefer blondes.

EmperorTigerstar

Ad Honorem
Jun 2013
USA
Well, how many Americans don't take the SAT?
well, an article said 2 million students of the graduating high school class of 2018 took the SAT. Currently there are 3.6 million people set to graduate in 2019. So around 44% don't take the SAT, including myself who never had to for getting into a college.

Also don't let SAT-racial stats or IQ-racial stats clog your head. Those differences are based on historical and sociocultural factors as well as environmental causes that we are still facing repercussions from. Not to mention the idea of using the SATs or IQ as a measure of proper intelligence is outdated to say the least. It's an easy way to make seemingly factual information or out of context information validate dumb racist arguments.

Jan 2017
UK
Blacks in extremely high-income families only perform as well on the SAT on average as poor Whites do, though. As for a lack of motivation, are you suggesting that Blacks are, on average, less motivated than Whites or Asians are? If so, the data doesn't actually appear to confirm this:

The ‘attitude-achievement paradox’ – Clear Language, Clear Mind

Rather, it looks like blacks are highly motivated but still perform poorly on average. :(
Not at all, I was just mentioning the idea of a "cultural factor" because it's sometimes claimed to justify Indians and Chinese overachieving in test scores. I'm quite skeptical about the cultural factor since even if each ethnic group has a monolithic culture, not everyone will adhere to it by the letter.

I think this focus on ethnicity to explain SAT results is a little misleading, similar to breaking down the wage earnings of every employee by gender in a large multinational company creating questions about a gender wage gap.

Status
Closed