Three American Revolutions

Dec 2019
Nashville, Tennessee
Hello peoples

When we think about the American Revolution we think about when George Washington and the Contential Army fought aganist the British. What about the Civil War which I called the Second American Revolution where the Union (North) and Confederates (South) was fighting in regards of slavery. Then you had the Civil Rights Movement in the 1950's and 1960's where African-Americans where fighting to end Jim Crow Segregation which I called the Third American Revolution. The outcome of the American Revolution was of course United States got their independence against Britian but still slavery against in this nation. The outcome of the Civil War seen the African-Americans gain their freedom from slavery which the 13th, 14th, and 15th amendments which abolished slavery, gain citzenship, and the right to vote (for men). But of course reconstruction ended in 1877 after Rutherford B. Hayes became president and the passage of the Compromise of 1877 which left blacks fend for themselves and led to Jim Crow Segregation. The out of the Civil Rights Movement seen the passage of the 1964 Civil Rights Act,1965 Voting Rights Act and 1968 Fair Housing Act that ended Jim Crow Segregation. Any thoughts about me saying their where three American Revolutions?

martin76

Ad Honorem
Dec 2014
Spain
Well... hard to say....

First American Revolution: As human.. Pro Yankee... as Spaniard... Pro-British.

Second American Revolution: Pro-Confederate or Pro-Southerner... I love too much the freedom to allow the Public Power says to me how I must live my life.

Third American Revolution: Pro Civil Rights Movement...free and equal citizens .. pay their taxes and have all their same rights.

Zip

Jan 2018
San Antonio
Second American Revolution: Pro-Confederate or Pro-Southerner... I love too much the freedom to allow the Public Power says to me how I must live my life...
So in the name of freedom you would defend slavery? Because the reason the white Southerners rebelled was to protect slavery. I think you don't understand this aspect of American history.

Reactions: Phalo
Aug 2011
The Castle Anthrax
The outcome of the Civil War seen the African-Americans gain their freedom from slavery which the 13th, 14th, and 15th amendments which abolished slavery, gain citzenship, and the right to vote (for men).
Some would say that slavery was outlawed when The Deceleration of Independence declared as "Self evident" truths that "All men are created equal" and have a right to liberty.

betgo

Ad Honorem
Jul 2011
Some would say that slavery was outlawed when The Deceleration of Independence declared as "Self evident" truths that "All men are created equal" and have a right to liberty.
It wasn't meant that way. They meant equal regardless of social class. It was justification for independence, that power wasn't reserved to royally appointed or hereditary colonial governors. Congress was taking power without claiming right of inheritance. In the 18th century, there wasn't a concept of real democracy or social or racial equality. British and Loyalists at the time remarked on the hypocrisy of slave owners talking about liberty and Lincoln cited it in the Gettysburg Address.

Aug 2011
The Castle Anthrax
In the 18th century, there wasn't a concept of real democracy or social or racial equality. .
I disagree. Certainly the founders were aware of Locke's ideas about social contract. Surely they were aware of Rousseau, in the 18th century, going so as to assert that man in the state of nature was at his best. I don't know how else to read "Self evident" and "Created equal" other than as planting the seed for the abolition of slavery in the country's founding document.

Jun 2017
maine
Back in Politics 101, I was told that a revolution is a successful rebellion. The ACW doesn't meet that criterion. I should think that the Civil Rights Movement was more of a social upheaval that certainly involved politics.

Feb 2019
Serbia
Back in Politics 101, I was told that a revolution is a successful rebellion. The ACW doesn't meet that criterion. I should think that the Civil Rights Movement was more of a social upheaval that certainly involved politics.
Funny that. I was told that a ''revolution'' is a rapid change in the political and/or social landscape of a certain country, territory or on a global scale. The Industrial Revolution is one of them and the British Agricultural Revolution is another. The Hungarian Revolution of 1848 was not successful yet it's still a revolution. The ''English Revolution'' encompasses the Glorious Revolution and the reforms that followed it, or so I was told. The American Revolution is separate from the American War of Independence with one being the war and the other being the social and political changes in America during and after it. The same goes for the Serbian Uprisings which are part of but are not synonymous with the Serbian Revolution.

betgo

Ad Honorem
Jul 2011
It was changed from Locke's "free and equal". It is obvious why they took out "free". In "life, liberty, and property", "property" was changed to "pursuit of happiness".

Feb 2019
Serbia
Second American Revolution: Pro-Confederate or Pro-Southerner... I love too much the freedom to allow the Public Power says to me how I must live my life.
Interesting. You claim to love freedom yet support a regime that was formed with the primary goal of preserving slavery. Furthermore, you claim you don't want the ''public power'' to tell you how to live your life yet support the regime that owned other people as property and as such controlled their lives.